Malcolm

Default put a formula into a text cell???

Hi Folks,

I am using Office 2003 at work and have the following problem.
I am working with a workbook that has 31 sheets. The workbook is
password protected. I would like to put a formula in some cells, that
are unprotected and formatted as "Text". The formulas will not work
as it is a text cell. The celIs in question represent the names of
workers. I would like to put in a formula to copy the names for an
entire workweek. I tried to use -- ='1'!B8 -- for example to copy
a name from worksheet one to worksheet two. Is there anyway to get
around this as I cannot get the author of the workbook to change the
format of the cells to General so the formulas will work.

Later,
Malcolm
Bryan Hessey

One work-around is to use another column, ='1'!$B8
and copy, paste special - formula into the text cell

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=472477

Malcolm

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 17:31:02 -0700, Gary''s Student
wrote:

You don't need a formula to gat a name from worksheet 1 to worksheet2. Just
copy and paste.

I want to type the name once and have it fill in on the other sheets
for the rest of the week.

TIA

Later,
Malcolm
Malcolm

Malcolm Wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am using Office 2003 at work and have the following problem.
I am working with a workbook that has 31 sheets. The workbook is
password protected. I would like to put a formula in some cells, that
are unprotected and formatted as "Text". The formulas will not work
as it is a text cell. The celIs in question represent the names of
workers. I would like to put in a formula to copy the names for an
entire workweek. I tried to use -- ='1'!B8 -- for example to copy
a name from worksheet one to worksheet two. Is there anyway to get
around this as I cannot get the author of the workbook to change the
format of the cells to General so the formulas will work.

Later,
Malcolm

Thanks I'll try this.

TIA

Later,
Malcolm

Malcolm

Malcolm Wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am using Office 2003 at work and have the following problem.
I am working with a workbook that has 31 sheets. The workbook is
password protected. I would like to put a formula in some cells, that
are unprotected and formatted as "Text". The formulas will not work
as it is a text cell. The celIs in question represent the names of
workers. I would like to put in a formula to copy the names for an
entire workweek. I tried to use -- ='1'!B8 -- for example to copy
a name from worksheet one to worksheet two. Is there anyway to get
around this as I cannot get the author of the workbook to change the
format of the cells to General so the formulas will work.

Later,
Malcolm

Hi Bryan;

Tried that copying from a different cell and paste special with no
luck.

TIA

Later,
Malcolm
Bryan Hessey

'no luck' asin it did not copy? - did not paste? pasted as text value?
or pasted the wrong formula?

Does the same idea work for you on a new workbook with the cell
described as Text?

Malcolm Wrote:
[...]

Malcolm

Malcolm Wrote:
Hi Folks,

I am using Office 2003 at work and have the following problem.
I am working with a workbook that has 31 sheets. The workbook is
password protected. I would like to put a formula in some cells,

that
are unprotected and formatted as "Text". The formulas will not

work
as it is a text cell. The celIs in question represent the names of
workers. I would like to put in a formula to copy the names for an
entire workweek. I tried to use -- ='1'!B8 -- for example to

copy
a name from worksheet one to worksheet two. Is there anyway to

get
around this as I cannot get the author of the workbook to change

the
format of the cells to General so the formulas will work.

No it just pasted the formula in the cell as though it were text.

TIA

Later,
Malcolm