Debbie

Default leading zeros are not showing in the formula bar but do show in ce

I am working on an excel spreadsheet where I was provided a list of Social
Security Numbers. The SSN's that lead with zeros show up in the cell with
the proper nine digit specification (no dashes or anything), because I
formatted it to text. However, in the formula bar (where it counts), it does
not show the leading zeros.

How can I get the formula bar to show all nine digits including the leading
zeros?

Thanks!
David Billigmeier

If they aren't showing up in the formula bar they aren't there. You probably
have a custom format of "000000000" or something similar. To append the
zero's you can use this function:

=CONCATENATE(REPT("0",9-LEN(A1)),A1)

Dave

"Debbie" wrote:

I am working on an excel spreadsheet where I was provided a list of Social
Security Numbers. The SSN's that lead with zeros show up in the cell with
the proper nine digit specification (no dashes or anything), because I
formatted it to text. However, in the formula bar (where it counts), it does
not show the leading zeros.

How can I get the formula bar to show all nine digits including the leading
zeros?

Thanks!

Bud Hughes

I've dealt with that before, format the cells as text, that will prevent any
leading zeroes from disappearing. You will now have a green triangle in the
upper left hand corner. That just means you have numbers in a cell formatted
for text. Your not adding or manipulating the numbers so don't worry about
it.