contrarian

Default IF statement(?)

Hi,
I'm wondering if some kind person might be able to help with a problem
I have in putting together the correct "IF" statement. I'll try and be
as clear as possible (what I'm actually trying to accmplish is pretty
simple - but I can't get the formula right):

(a) Column A has numbers
(b) Column B has numbers

In the calculation column (say, column C will do!) I want it to look at
a few conditions, and if met, put a word in that column (say, "fish"!)

Let's start down the list a little way in cell C6, because it refers
back to 5 numbers in column B and 1 number in column C.

Okay, these are the simple conditions: (remember, we're starting in
cell C6)

(1) If B6 is greater than B5
(2) And B6 is also greater than A5 (next door)
(2) And B6 is also less than B4, less than B3, less than B2 and less
than B1

Then put the word "FISH" there.

I do not want it to put anything if those conditions are not met.

Does anyone know how to write the correct IF statement to do this?

(Please note: if it MUST say something when the conditions are not met,
I can live with that).

Thanking you heaps,
Steve

--
contrarian
contrarian's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10009

B. R.Ramachandran

In C6, enter the formula
=IF(AND(B6B5,B6A5,B6<MIN(B1:B4)),"FISH","")

Please note that if B6 happens to be equal to one of the numbers in the
other six cells you are comparing it with, the conditions are NOT met, and
therefore the formula would return a blank in C6.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"contrarian" wrote:

[...]

Casey

contrarian,

try in C6

IF(AND(B6B5,B6A5,B6<B4,B6<B3,B6<B2,B6<B1),"fish" ,"")

HTH

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=472085

David McRitchie

Hi Steve,

C6: =IF(AND(B6A5, B6B5, B6<B4, B6<B3, B6< B2, B6<B1),"FISH","")

If the conditions are not met an empty string is inserted in the cell,
the cell will never test as ISBLANK because it has a formula.
---
HTH,

"contrarian" wrote ...

Okay, these are the simple conditions: (remember, we're starting in
cell C6)

(1) If B6 is greater than B5
(2) And B6 is also greater than A5 (next door)
(2) And B6 is also less than B4, less than B3, less than B2 and less
than B1

Then put the word "FISH" there.

I do not want it to put anything if those conditions are not met.

Does anyone know how to write the correct IF statement to do this?

(Please note: if it MUST say something when the conditions are not met,
I can live with that).

If statement Matt Montagliano Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 September 8th 05 08:47 PM
Do I need a sumif or sum of a vlookup formula? PeterB Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 1st 05 12:23 PM
IF Statement nightmare eugenevr Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 May 18th 05 01:09 PM
IF Statement Brent New Users to Excel 3 April 29th 05 04:24 PM
Statement lintan Excel Worksheet Functions 1 December 2nd 04 11:31 PM