theqcup

Default lists w/ multiple worksheets q

I am trying to create what I think is a strange spreadsheet and at this
point I do not even know if it is possible. I have 3 worksheets that I
have named database, GUI, & totals. The database sheet contains a a
number of rows about a item the user can select. The first column is
the name and the next 10 or so columns are specific information about
that item. The GUI worksheet has a new row for each day. Then I
created a list of all the items in the database worksheet. The user
can then on the GUI worksheet select a number of different items from
the list (each item is a different column for a specific date). Now
this is where I get lost. My third worksheet I want to total up some
of the properties from each item the user selected for the day. For
example, for 9/28/05 the user selects ITEM1, ITEM3, & ITEM5 from the
lists. So now I want in the total sheet the price of all three items.
I know what item in the list was selected but how do I get the price of
that item off the database worksheet? Is this possible?

--
theqcup
theqcup's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27636

David McRitchie

Try looking at some of these links:
if you have many sheets with the same exact format
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc2.htm

VLOOKUP you might need this for pricing
if you are trying ot lookup a value from a table
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

If you have to manually select (skipping some items) for a total
that is not very good, can you perhaps use SUMIF Worksheet Function
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sumif.htm

I think you will want a macro to cycle through your selected items
and add them to a column in your GUI worksheet with a date or
other id at the top. Before you write a macro, you must have a
clear idea of what you are doing manually.

Updating a worksheet while going through a selection of cell on
a different worksheet. Some code snippets might be extracted from
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/bus_sched.htm

If you are going to post to the Excel newsgroups, it would be much
more friendly to use your name, so we know who your are and what
to call you. It probably also means a little more care to posting
questions and answers will result.
---
HTH,