S.G.Pillai

Default to convert all the file names in one directory to .xls?

Hi!
I have nearly 5000 files in a directory and i need to have a data base of
all the files that I have in that particular directory in excel. How can i do
that. Is there any possible way to just convert it from that folder directly

Sreekanth.G.Pillai
dominicb

Good morning Sreekanth.G.Pillai

John Walkenbachs PUPv6 utility will do just this. Yopu can download a
fully featured trial version from he

http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup6/trial.htm

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Gord Dibben

Sreekanth

Your subject line states "convert all the files to xls" but your body asks for
just a listing of the files.

I am going with the latter.

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull directly to
Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows filtering and
sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP