Lady18wheels

Default Autofill or Autocomplete - not sure what to call it.

I have a check register deal set up in Excel. When I begin typing entries
for the payee category, auto(whatever) offers suggestions that I can click to
fill in the cell. Is there a way to clear these suggestions, and let Excel
start remembering a new set of entries for this feature?

I think this is fairly simple, but.....(Newbie :-)

swatsp0p

The Autocomplete feature simply reads from the cells immediately <above
the current cell. You can turn off this feature by clicking
ToolsOptions and selecting the Edit tab; uncheck "Enable AutoComplete
for cell values"

Good Luck

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=470224

Lady18wheels

Does anybody ever get any answers here?
Roger Govier

Hi

You had a response at 15:34 from SwatspOp
I have pasted it below in case you can't see it.

The Autocomplete feature simply reads from the cells immediately <above
the current cell. You can turn off this feature by clicking
ToolsOptions and selecting the Edit tab; uncheck "Enable AutoComplete
for cell values"

Good Luck

-- swatsp0p

Regards

Roger Govier

Lady18wheels wrote:
Does anybody ever get any answers here?

swatsp0p

AutoComplete works like this:

In A1 you enter "Gasoline"
In A2 you begin to enter "Garage" but as soon as you type "G", Excel
automatically completes the cell with "asoline" (highlighted). You can
accept this by pressing Enter or you can just continue typing to
overwrite the suggested entry, which you do.
In A3 you begin to enter "Garbage", now when you type "G" then "a"
nothing happens, but when you type "r", Excel suggests "age"
(highlighted).

Is this what you are experiencing?

If so, my original post stands. There is no way to change the choice
that Excel offers. You can either turn off the autocomplete or simply
ignore the suggestions as they come up.

One other option is to skip a row between entries. If, as in the
example above, you drop to A5 (skipping A4) and type "Garbonzo's
Eatery", nothing is entered by Excel as a suggestion. However, in A4,
"Garb" would result in "age" being offered.

Does this help?

Now, if you <want a dropdown list to select from, check out Data
Validation.