Harley

Default Sorting with Header Row

Hi,

I ahve what is likely an easy question that my brain just won't answer for
me today so I am looking for some help. In my really long spreadsheet, I
want to make the first row a header row. I would like to be able to have the
option to sort it in all different ways with my header row staying just where
it is.

I know if I go to Data/Sort and mark off "My data range has a header row"
that will allow me to sort without moving my header row. My question is, how
do I make that stay without having to continually go into Data/Sort and
marking that option? I have seen other spreadsheets that do that, I just
can't find how to do that in mine.

Thanks!

--
Harley
Anne Troy

Harley. Click on cell A2 and hit Window--Freeze panes and Save. That
usually takes care of it.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

[...]

Harley

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your response, unfortunatley, I have tried that already and that
does not lock the header row when sorting. I need to lock the header row. I
can just continue to go into Data/Sort and continue marking that one option
so the sort does not include the header row, but I know there is a way to
lock it, not simply freeze it.

Thanks though.

Any other ideas out there?
--
Harley

[...]

Dave Peterson

Sometimes, just formatting that header row will be enough for excel to guess
correctly.

Try bolding the headers (or making them italics or underlining them...)

Harley wrote:

[...]

Harley

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. Again, this is something that is already in the
spreadsheet. I guess I am just going to have to live with the Data/Sort,
mark the option thing! Perhaps I should just quit being so lazy! LOL

Thanks!
--
Harley

Harley wrote:

[...]

Colin Vicary

Hi

I often find that Excel doesn't recognise the first row as a header if
ANY of the column headings are blank.

If you do have a blank heading (and it may be hidden) give it any name
and Excel should pick it up as a header. MS would probably say this is
a feature!

HTH

Colin

--
Colin Vicary
Colin Vicary's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10472

Harley

Thanks everyone for yoru responses. Much appreciated with all the suggestions.

Tried them all and none work that way...no big deal, I will continue with
the Data/Sort and mark the option. I do appreicate all the responses though.

This board is always so helpful!
--
Harley