ExcelQuestion

Default Text to column

I have a text file of data that i get on a daily basis and have to perform
the 'text to column' function on each time. Is there a way that i can just
place the new text data in column A and have it automatically updated
starting in, say, column C. Alternatively, if that isnt possible is there a
function i can write to extract the data from the text file myself. Example:
Text in A1
abc 123 def 456 ghi

How can i extract abc, 123, def, 456 and ghi into cells c1 through g1?
John Wood

If your text string is always the same length and format, one clunky solution
would be to write a formula in cell B1 such as left(A1,3), then in C1
=Mid(A1,4,3), etc

John Wood

"ExcelQuestion" wrote:

I have a text file of data that i get on a daily basis and have to perform
the 'text to column' function on each time. Is there a way that i can just
place the new text data in column A and have it automatically updated
starting in, say, column C. Alternatively, if that isnt possible is there a
function i can write to extract the data from the text file myself. Example:
Text in A1
abc 123 def 456 ghi

How can i extract abc, 123, def, 456 and ghi into cells c1 through g1?

ExcelQuestion

I think this will work, but can you be more specific as to how i should do
it. here is the text in A1:

34.00 20.00 ABC 1.06 + 1.00 308,885 21.00
20.49 20.50 -0.40 20.30 20.50

thats all in one line though. so i need it to be separated into 12 columns.
the length and format are always the same.