Junior Member

Unhappy Divide a number in one cell into several others UNEVENLY

Good day, Banters,

I am not new to excel, however I am trying to divide a number of consignments randomly to a number of clients, but it now seems impossible to me.
Let me exemplify:

I am not allowed to use the real company data for a project, so:
I have a number of consignments - 30000
which i am trying to divide UNEVENLY to a number of clients - 120

All i could achieve at the moment is obtaining either an even spread throughout the sheet (250), or get a randomization for the first 50 clients or so, afterwards getting a repetitive amount.

Is there any formula/combination that can divide my sum to the clients without noticing an actual pattern?

Thank you in advance!!

Teddy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dpb dpb is offline

Default Divide a number in one cell into several others UNEVENLY

On 6/9/2018 7:22 AM, tdi93 wrote:
Good day, Banters,

I am not new to excel, however I am trying to divide a number of
consignments randomly to a number of clients, but it now seems
impossible to me.
Let me exemplify:

I am not allowed to use the real company data for a project, so:
I have a number of consignments - 30000
which i am trying to divide UNEVENLY to a number of clients - 120

For what working definition of "UNEVENLY"?

One each to 119 and 30000-119 to one is about as uneven as gets in one
sense but I suspect that isn't what you're looking for presuming that
everybody does get at least one.

Or another way to ask the question -- what criterion would you use to
disallow a solution?

Just out of curiosity that has nothing really to do with the answer to
the question, just why is an even solution unacceptable?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--
tdi93

Just use a probability distributions. Beta is bounded so seems like a suitable one. For example, client ID = INT(BETA.INV(RAND(), 1, 3, 0, 120)+1)

http://www.statisticshowto.com/beta-distribution/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good day, Banters,

I am not new to excel, however I am trying to divide a number of
consignments randomly to a number of clients, but it now seems
impossible to me.
Let me exemplify:

I am not allowed to use the real company data for a project, so:
I have a number of consignments - 30000
which i am trying to divide UNEVENLY to a number of clients - 120

All i could achieve at the moment is obtaining either an even spread
throughout the sheet (250), or get a randomization for the first 50
clients or so, afterwards getting a repetitive amount.

Is there any formula/combination that can divide my sum to the clients
without noticing an actual pattern?

Thank you in advance!!

Teddy

Use a helper column and assign a "weight" to clients which you'll use to
determine how many consignments they get. Since the mean is 250 per (3000/120)
you can use the 'Weight" value to set the variance per client. In the end, the
distribution should equal the total number of consignments.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc