LucasBuck

Default If and blanks

Is using ifnumber the best way to have a formula not count blank cells
as zeros?
If so, can someone show me using =COUNT(C3:C31)

--
LucasBuck
LucasBuck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19710

swatsp0p

Without you telling us what data (or blanks or zeros) are in your
specified range, we can't understand what you are looking for. COUNT,
by definition, only counts cells containing numbers (from the HELP
file: -Counts the number of cells that contain numbers -).

Your formula, as written should do what you ask. Also, I am not
familiar with "ifnumber". Is that a UDF?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467238

LucasBuck

Sorry, I'll be more specifc (the ifnumber was just something I saw while
searching)

I I did get part of it worked out. I had asked earlier how to count
pairs of zeros in a list with 2 columns (in otherwords, two zeroes in
the same row) Someone suggested
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B31=0),--(C1:C31=0))
The problem is, it counts blanks as zeroes. Everything is set up so
items can be added later, so it's going to have blanks unless I adjust
it every time.

--
LucasBuck
LucasBuck's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19710
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467238

Bob Phillips

Read my reply in your previous post, I specifically addressed that issue.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"LucasBuck" wrote in
message ...

Sorry, I'll be more specifc (the ifnumber was just something I saw while
searching)

I I did get part of it worked out. I had asked earlier how to count
pairs of zeros in a list with 2 columns (in otherwords, two zeroes in
the same row) Someone suggested
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B31=0),--(C1:C31=0))
The problem is, it counts blanks as zeroes. Everything is set up so
items can be added later, so it's going to have blanks unless I adjust
it every time.

--
LucasBuck
LucasBuck's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467238

swatsp0p

simply add one more condition to the formula, as such:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B31=0),--(C1:C31=0),--(B1:B31<""))

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=467238

Roger Govier

Hi Lucas

I was one of the people who gave you that solution, but I did not consider
the case of blank cells.
Bob Phillips had thought about the problem more deeply, and also posted a
solution with another condition added which addressed the value of blank cells.

I case you missed his posting
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10=0),--(B1:B10=0),--(A1:A10<""))

or for your ranges
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B31=0),--(C1:C31=0),--(B1:B31<""))

Regards

Roger Govier

LucasBuck wrote:
Sorry, I'll be more specifc (the ifnumber was just something I saw while
searching)

I I did get part of it worked out. I had asked earlier how to count
pairs of zeros in a list with 2 columns (in otherwords, two zeroes in
the same row) Someone suggested
=SUMPRODUCT(--(B1:B31=0),--(C1:C31=0))
The problem is, it counts blanks as zeroes. Everything is set up so
items can be added later, so it's going to have blanks unless I adjust
it every time.

LucasBuck

Thank you both very much. I didn't notice the addition in the other
post. Very much appriciated. (Trying to finish something for your
principal when you have 29 kids in the room can lead to distraction.)
:)