Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel doesn't keep formatting, have to redo it each time I open it

Absolutly it can. Just click File - Save As - and choose the .csv option. Excel will give you several warning that features will be lost (.csv doesn't support formatting, or multiple tabs), but it should save your data into .csv).

On Friday, October 8, 2010 at 6:42:19 PM UTC-5, shep wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. This csv file is a export from a database and has
to be a csv file to import it back in. Can a excel file be turned back into
a csv file right before I need to import it back into my database?

Thanks again

"Jim Rech" wrote in message
The CSV file format does not contain any Excel formatting information.
It's just pure data.

To save Excel formatting you should use an Excel file type. Use File,
Save As, and change the "Save as type" to Excel Workbook.

"shep" wrote in message
I have Office 2010 and when I download a csv file from my website and then
format the cells the way I want them to be as in column widths, centering
etc and save it when I open it again everything is all crunched up at the
left again.

When I set everything it asks me about 4 times if I want to save the
settings and I say "YES" every time but it neer saves the settings..
what am I doing wrong?