Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Remove date format?

This fragment of my spreadsheet shows a Year column containing cells
formatted in two ways.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...DateFormat.jpg

The row shown (and those below) were entered with a custom date format
'mmmm' as I wanted to sort by year. (I was slightly surprised that it
worked OK!) However the rows above have been pasted in from a sheet in
which the years are in General format. My attempt to sort this
combined sheet by Year has failed, as you see.

How can I remove the format from the customised cells, so that *all*
entries in that column are sortable please?

I tried Paste Special Values but that failed.

I could tediously change all the general entries by editing say 1960
to 1/1/1960, but there has to be an easier way!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Typo correction:

The row shown (and those below) were entered with a custom date format
'yyyy' as I wanted to sort by year.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:29:58 +0100 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I could tediously change all the general entries by editing say 1960
to 1/1/1960, but there has to be an easier way!

the above is a possibility.
Or you write in G1:
=IF(C1<"",YEAR(C1),F1)
and copy down
Then copy the data in column G and paste the values to F

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:29:58 +0100 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I could tediously change all the general entries by editing say 1960
to 1/1/1960, but there has to be an easier way!

the above is a possibility.
Or you write in G1:
=IF(C1<"",YEAR(C1),F1)
and copy down
Then copy the data in column G and paste the values to F

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks Claus.

--