Old October 22nd 13, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Blank Sheet with Gridlines

I'm trying to create a worksheet for manual entry via Excel, and
although I clicked the Gridlines box in Page Setup/Sheet, the only
gridlines that print are around lines that contain content (at this time
only the title row). I know that I can print all lines & cells with
gridlines, but I don't know how. Please advise. TIA

Old October 22nd 13, 07:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm trying to create a worksheet for manual entry via Excel, and
although I clicked the Gridlines box in Page Setup/Sheet, the only
gridlines that print are around lines that contain content (at this
time only the title row). I know that I can print all lines & cells
with gridlines, but I don't know how. Please advise. TIA

You will print gridlines when you have rows with content. Blank cells
included!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Old October 22nd 13, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

Am Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:48:17 -0700 schrieb Mike Copeland:

Is there some way an Excel file can be created with non-displaying
"dummy rows" that print the sheet's gridlines even when they're "blank"?
(Or is there some other sort of "trick" at play here?) TIA

print without gridlines
Select your data table from A1 to the end = Conditional Formatting =
Use Formula .... = Formula = =Len($A1)0 and choose the expected
border lines for format.
So you have only lines if there are values in A

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Old October 22nd 13, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , says...
I'm trying to create a worksheet for manual entry via Excel, and
although I clicked the Gridlines box in Page Setup/Sheet, the only
gridlines that print are around lines that contain content (at this
time only the title row). I know that I can print all lines &
cells with gridlines, but I don't know how. Please advise. TIA

You will print gridlines when you have rows with content. Blank
cells included!

I'm trying to replicate a "form" that I've been given: it's a page
that has no content except for the header row. Somehow this Excel
spreadsheet has been created so that even though all rows are empty,
all rows on the page print. (The form is meant to be filled in
manually...) All I have to work from is the printed sample page.
Is there some way an Excel file can be created with non-displaying
"dummy rows" that print the sheet's gridlines even when they're
"blank"? (Or is there some other sort of "trick" at play here?)
TIA

Actually, yes there is some 'trick' at play (I suspect)! Being a forms
designer myself, I commonly turn gridlines of and create 'field' boxes
using the dotted border style for internal 'gridlines' and the solid
line style for boxing in an area. This may be applied via
ConditionalFormatting in cases where I want the 'effects' to be dynamic
in context with data entry.

--
Garry

Free usenet access at
http://www.eternal-september.org

Old October 22nd 13, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article ,
says...
Hi Mike,
Is there some way an Excel file can be created with non-displaying
"dummy rows" that print the sheet's gridlines even when they're "blank"?
(Or is there some other sort of "trick" at play here?) TIA

print without gridlines
Select your data table from A1 to the end = Conditional Formatting =
Use Formula .... = Formula = =Len($A1)0 and choose the expected
border lines for format.
So you have only lines if there are values in A

I don't understand this - perhaps I didn't make my needs clear. 8<{{
I created a new worksheet, placing a header row with values for the
columns I intend to (manually) fill in. The worksheet is just that: an
empty form for someone to write in data values (date, amount, name,
etc.).
I have a sample of such a worksheet that has this, and the entire
sheet's gridlines show even though there is no data in any of the cells
- it's an empty form, that's all. I'm trying to recreate this form on
my system (Office 2003) and my wife's (Win7 & Office 365). (I can't get
this to work on either system...)
I'm a neophyte on special processing and formatting.
I tried to follow your suggestion above, but I don't understand the
last parts ("choose the expected border lines for format. So you have
only lines if there are values in A"). I am also confused by the "print
without gridlines" statement, which seems to contradict the whole
concept I'm trying.
Also, why would anything print out if the lengths of data cells were
0?
I apologize for my ignorance, but my experience level with Excel is
minimal. Please advise.
Old October 22nd 13, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

Am Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:47:17 -0700 schrieb Mike Copeland:

I have a sample of such a worksheet that has this, and the entire
sheet's gridlines show even though there is no data in any of the cells
- it's an empty form, that's all. I'm trying to recreate this form on
my system (Office 2003) and my wife's (Win7 & Office 365). (I can't get
this to work on either system...)

please have a look:
https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=9378A...121822A3%21326
for the workbook "Borders"
There are borders in it if cells in column A are filled

Regards
Claus B.
Old October 22nd 13, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

Am Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:55:38 +0200 schrieb Claus Busch:

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=9378A...121822A3%21326
for the workbook "Borders"

download the file with a rightclick. In Skydrive .xls is not supported
and the borders look thicker than in the real sheet.
Then you can put the cursor into the table and select Conditional
Formatting to see the formula and the formatting.

Regards
Claus B.
Old October 22nd 13, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok.., I thought you were trying to simulate gridlines in a designed
form layout! My bad!!

I suspect you have not defined your Print_Area, and so no gridlines
show in PrintPreview (with Gridlines checked in the Sheet tab of
PageSetup). In order to print default gridlines you must have a defied
Print_Area!