Patty via OfficeKB.com

Default unconcatenate?

I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two different
cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
Any ideas? (no VB please!)

Thanks.

Anne Troy

Hi, Patty. See Data--Text to Columns about 1/3rd down the page he
http://www.officearticles.com/tutori...soft_excel.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Patty wrote:
I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two
different
cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
Any ideas? (no VB please!)

Thanks.

David Hepner

Try this:

Assuming the name is in cell A1:

B1 =LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)-1)
C1 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1,1)-1)

"Patty via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two different
cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
Any ideas? (no VB please!)

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

How about just selecting the column
data|text to columns
delimited
by space

(leave enough room to the right to accept all your fields)

"Patty via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two different
cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
Any ideas? (no VB please!)

Thanks.

Dave Peterson
Myrna Larson

Text-to-columns will fill the bill as long as ALL cells include three parts.
If, in some, the middle initial is missing, for those rows, you'll end up with
the last name in the column intended for the middle initial.

If this is a problem, you can perhaps solve it quickly by sorting on the 3rd
column (should be the last name). Those with no last name will go to the
bottom of the list. For those rows, you can then insert cells between the
first and last names, to provide for the blank middle initial

Patty wrote:
I have over a thousand cells with last name,first name. I want two
different
cells with last name in one and first name in the other (minus the comma).
Any ideas? (no VB please!)

Thanks.

Myrna Larson

Oops... I missed the part of your original message where you describe the data
order. My first reply was based on the erroneous assumption that it was First
MI Last (which is a more common situation when all data is in one cell with no
comma delimiter).

Since the order is Last First MI, a row without a middle initial is not a
problem.