coreman

Default Massive large size of Excel File after Updating

I use an excel file that is updated every week however the actual data
contained should be no more than 200Kb in size but the file is now 2Mb
in size. I think it is because of all the deleting/additions that are
made.

Is there a way to shrink the file back to it's nominal size? I've
tried copying the sheets over to new workbook but it seems I am still
copying all of the old layers as well.

--
coreman
coreman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27160

dominicb

Good morning Coreman

*** Do this on a COPY of your workbook ***

Go to File Save as Web Page

Select Entire Workbook, and give it a name and click save. Close Excel
and reopen. File Open and find your way to the HTML file you've just
created and reopen it and then save it back to disc as an .xls file.
This should reduce the file size considerably.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

coreman

Thanks...tried your advice, the HTML file was 23 kb but when I resaved
as .xls, went back to 1.4 mB. There are only (5) rows and (27) columns
on one page. There must be something hidden that I can't see.

So I Cut/Paste the data from the workbook to a new one (rather than
copy the page as I did the first time) and it is now 14.5 kb
again...strange....there must be layers that accumulated over time (no
macros) that aren't present in the actual cells themselves.

Thanks for your time though!