Junior Member

Question Advanced Sort/ look

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to sort a document based on the information in one particular column, this Colum contains the following alpha numerical string “F907E231220084”. I need to help in figuring out how to sort based on the last 4 digits only. I appreciate any and all help. You don’t have to write a formula for me just point me in the direction I will try to figure out the rest.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Advanced Sort/ look

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:34:28 +0100, applemanxxx wrote:

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to sort a document based on the information in one
particular column, this Colum contains the following alpha numerical
string “F907E231220084”. I need to help in figuring out how to sort
based on the last 4 digits only. I appreciate any and all help. You
don’t have to write a formula for me just point me in the direction I
will try to figure out the rest.

(Not writing formula mode): Extract the last four digits into an adjacent column, then sort on that column. When you're done, you can either delete the column or hide it.
Note that the sort will be different if your results are "text" or "real numbers", so use an appropriate formula depending on what you want.
Junior Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Rosenfeld[_2_] View Post
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:34:28 +0100, applemanxxx wrote:

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to sort a document based on the information in one
particular column, this Colum contains the following alpha numerical
string “F907E231220084”. I need to help in figuring out how to sort
based on the last 4 digits only. I appreciate any and all help. You
don’t have to write a formula for me just point me in the direction I
will try to figure out the rest.

(Not writing formula mode): Extract the last four digits into an adjacent column, then sort on that column. When you're done, you can either delete the column or hide it.
Note that the sort will be different if your results are "text" or "real numbers", so use an appropriate formula depending on what you want.

Well thank you for that, I ve tried it and it almost worked....However, I have to manually input the formula in to each cell, here what happens:
=MID(A3,ROW(11:11),4) – 1 CELL The original formula returns 4 digit number
=MID(A4,ROW(12:12),4) – 2 CELL The original formula returns 3 digit number
=MID(A5,ROW(13:13),4) – 3 CELL The original formula returns 2 digit number
=MID(A6,ROW(14:14),4) – 4 CELL The original formula returns 1 digit number
ETC….. I think you get the picture …ROW(N, N) keeps changing as I try to copy it down, thus, as I stated it earlier, I must do manually…. Any thoughts??

Last edited by applemanxxx : June 18th 13 at 06:01 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Am Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:53:46 +0100 schrieb applemanxxx:

I have to manually input the formula in to each cell, here what
happens:
=MID(A3,ROW(11:11),4) – 1 CELL The original formula returns 4
digit number
=MID(A4,ROW(12:12),4) – 2 CELL The original formula returns 3
digit number
=MID(A5,ROW(13:13),4) – 3 CELL The original formula returns 2
digit number
=MID(A6,ROW(14:14),4) – 4 CELL The original formula returns 1
digit number
ETC….. I think you get the picture …ROW(N, N) keeps changing
as I try to copy it down, thus, as I stated it earlier, I must do
manually…. Any thoughts??

try:
=RIGHT(A3;4) and copy down.
You can copy the helper column and pastespecial paste values and apply
custom numberformat 0000.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
[...]

Thank you Claus, I ve found the same solution, but thank you nevertheless .