Junior Member

Default Find & Replace problems... at the end of my thread (ha)

Hey guys. I have Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet with email addresses in it surrounded by other text. I want to automatically highlight in yellow each row containing the words gmail, yahoo, hotmail and so on.

I CTRL-H then enter the info as you see it in the pic attached. When I click Replace All it says "that function is not valid". It works like a charm for every other word I test it with. It's almost interesting in a head-exploding kind of way.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Am Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:05:29 +0100 schrieb dunndealpr:

Hey guys. I have Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet with email addresses
in it surrounded by other text. I want to automatically highlight in
yellow each row containing the words gmail, yahoo, hotmail and so on.

your strings in column A. Then try in B1:
=--(COUNT(FIND({"yahoo","gmail","hotmail"},A1))0)
Enlarge the formula for all other searched providers.
Select A1:Bn = Conditional Formatting = new Rule = use formula ...
and as formula:
=$B1=1 and format with your wished back color.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
Hi,

Am Thu, 6 Jun 2013 16:05:29 +0100 schrieb dunndealpr:

Hey guys. I have Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet with email addresses
in it surrounded by other text. I want to automatically highlight in
yellow each row containing the words gmail, yahoo, hotmail and so on.

your strings in column A. Then try in B1:
=--(COUNT(FIND({"yahoo","gmail","hotmail"},A1))0)
Enlarge the formula for all other searched providers.
Select A1:Bn = Conditional Formatting = new Rule = use formula ...
and as formula:
=$B1=1 and format with your wished back color.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
interesting! wasn't hip to conditional formatting. not hip to formulas either, but it seems i don't even need them to get what i need done here. thanks!

it just seems like find and replace should have worked regardless though. that vexed me to no end.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 18:47:13 +0100, dunndealpr wrote:

it just seems like find and replace should have worked regardless
though. that vexed me to no end.

It worked fine for me with Excel 2007. Of course, it only highlights the cell, not the entire row.