Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying puzzle

Using Excel 2000 I copy/pasted selected non-contiguous data (with the Ctrl
key), but all the intervening cells were copied too!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Exc...yingPuzzle.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , Terry Pinnell wrote:
Using Excel 2000 I copy/pasted selected non-contiguous data (with the Ctrl
key), but all the intervening cells were copied too!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Exc...yingPuzzle.jpg

Try using the filter function instead (worst case, an index column with "1"
in where you want to copy the row will work). Filter, copy, paste. Done. :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

In article , Terry Pinnell wrote:
Using Excel 2000 I copy/pasted selected non-contiguous data (with the Ctrl
key), but all the intervening cells were copied too!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Exc...yingPuzzle.jpg

Try using the filter function instead (worst case, an index column with "1"
in where you want to copy the row will work). Filter, copy, paste. Done. :)

Thanks, apologies for the delay in coming back.

But I'm afraid I don't follow what you mean.I've never used the Filter
feature before. I found Data Filter, which opened this dialog:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/Exc...ing-Filter.jpg

Pretty complex looking for a start, given that all I want to do is copy 3
cells to a text file! But what do I do to get them to the clipboard anyway
please?

And do you know why the simple copy paste doesn't work anyway? Is that
true with later versions too?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK