Junior Member

Default Data Validation help

Hello, I need help with a custom data validation formula for the following scenario:

Users can input an entry in any one of these formats (# for any number 0-9):
1) ##/##'
2) ###/###'
3) ##/###'
4) ###/##'

Here is the code I have that works for format 1 and 2.

=OR(AND(COUNT(MID(H1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(H1))),1 )+0)=4,MID(H1,3,1)="/",MID(H1,6,1)="'"),AND(COUNT(MID(H1,ROW(INDIRECT(" 1:"&LEN(H1))),1)+0)=6,MID(H1,4,1)="/",MID(H1,8,1)="'"))

Problem is, when I try to add more AND commands to include formats 3) and 4), excel does not allow it because it is too many characters. Is this possible?
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzycow23 View Post
Hello, I need help with a custom data validation formula for the following scenario:

Users can input an entry in any one of these formats (# for any number 0-9):
1) ##/##'
2) ###/###'
3) ##/###'
4) ###/##'

Here is the code I have that works for format 1 and 2.

=OR(AND(COUNT(MID(H1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(H1))),1 )+0)=4,MID(H1,3,1)="/",MID(H1,6,1)="'"),AND(COUNT(MID(H1,ROW(INDIRECT(" 1:"&LEN(H1))),1)+0)=6,MID(H1,4,1)="/",MID(H1,8,1)="'"))

Problem is, when I try to add more AND commands to include formats 3) and 4), excel does not allow it because it is too many characters. Is this possible?
Hi,

Could you explain what these values represent and what manipulation you're attempting to achieve with the formula?

It will be much easier to provide you with a working solution if we're armed with that info.

Thanks.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi,

Could you explain what these values represent and what manipulation you're attempting to achieve with the formula?

It will be much easier to provide you with a working solution if we're armed with that info.

Thanks.
Hi,

This is for a soccer game report, in which the numbers before the slash are the jersey number of the scorer, and the numbers after the slash represent the time of the goal, expressed as a minute reference, e.g. 78 = 78th minute of the game.

The organization I work for has a terrible time in getting users to input data correctly according to this format, so it was my task to see if we can restrict users to entering data in this format or else the cell would reject the input. I've found the closest thing to a solution to be the data validation feature but I'm stuck on the code.

Recap, I've got the formula working for ##/##' and ###/###', but the formula bar seems to cap off at a certain point, so I cannot add on the formats ##/###' and ###/##'. I can easily rework the formula so that any 2 of these formats is included, but not all 4.
Senior Member

[...]

I can think of several solutions to this but the most appropriate one would pretty much depend on that worksheet itself and potentially the possibility of altering the layout slightly. That might not be necessary but I won't know unless I can see the workbook itself (or a dummy version of).

Any chance you could post it here or if too large for this forum, perhaps email it to me on pubnut @ gmail . com (without space, obviously)?

S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , Fuzzycow23 wrote:
Spencer101;1608120 Wrote:
[...]

Any reason for not using 2 input cells (ie player number in A5; time in B5)
? That would simplify your problem enormously. :)

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sinclair View Post
Spencer101;1608120 Wrote:
[...]

Having seen the workbook, that was my suggestion too.
It seems the best option.