Senior Member

Default filter result- total row numbers varies

i want to filter the content of a column in a worksheet. when i make a querry by selecting grade rows 4 to 9 ,i get the following- 3 records found out of 7 records.My doubt is that there are three blank rows above the data. one row is there for the label. so total records is 5+4 it should be 9. but excel gives as 7 as the total records. if i select the whole of col D for filter i get the total number as 10 whereas it should be 11 adding the two rows with calculations of average etc. how can i get the exact number of records which contains data in the excel sheet when i make a querry by filter? for example , if i ask for A1 it should give me as three records found out of five records......the file is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GRADE filter 291112.zip (6.6 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by sumesh56 : November 29th 12 at 04:16 PM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Am Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:12:46 +0000 schrieb sumesh56:

i want to filter the content of a column in a worksheet. when i make a
querry by selecting grade rows 4 to 9 ,i get the following- 3 records
found out of 7 records.My doubt is that there are three blank rows above
the data. one row is there for the label. so total records is 5+4 it
should be 9. but excel gives as 7 as the total records. if i select the
whole of col D for filter i get the total number as 10 whereas it should
be 11 adding the two rows with calculations of average etc. how can i
get the exact number of records which contains data in the excel sheet
when i make a querry by filter? for example , if i ask for A1 it should
give me as three records found out of five records......the file is
attached.

deactivate mergecells in range A3:B4. Then you can select A4:D4 and
choose Data = Filter.

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
[...]

even though i have deactivated mergecells, the result is not accurate. it gives 3 out of 7 records.FYI, i have noticed one thing. when i delete the last two datarows where i have the average etc, it gives the accurate result. 3 out of five when i querry for A1.