Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Edit File Information

I have a .csv file with information in columns A,B,C, D. The information in column d is formated like this: AL Corp of Eng; ; 205-497-9828
I need to move the phone number into Column E, and delete the two simicolons. There is about 1200 rows of information that needs to be changed.
Could someone show me how to do this?

Thanks,
Jerry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, September 24, 2012 9:21:10 AM UTC-5, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Am Mon, 24 Sep 2012 07:15:24 -0700 (PDT) schrieb :

I have a .csv file with information in columns A,B,C, D. The information in column d is formated like this: AL Corp of Eng; ; 205-497-9828

I need to move the phone number into Column E, and delete the two simicolons. There is about 1200 rows of information that needs to be changed.

Could someone show me how to do this?

select your column D = Data = Text to Columns = Delimited =

Delimiter = Semicolon = second column with the space "Do not import

this column (skip) = Finish

Regards

Claus Busch

--

Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2

Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Thank you very much! That worked like a champ. Now in the column that is formatted for phone numbers, when I click on some of the numbers, they show up in different formatting in the formula bar. They show up like this:

6155484521 even though in the cell it is formatted like this (615) 548-4521
and some of them show like this: (864) 443-2457 in the formula bar which is the same as it is in the cell.

Best I can tell, some of the numbers have a space in front of the string. Could you tell me how to remove any spaces from the front of the numbers in the entire column?

Thanks,
Jerry