Junior Member

Default need help with excel

i want to design a database for work that has part number and other specification and somehow i can access the information quickly by having another menu that search and brings my what im looking for for example

Part Color Material Size
lg45 blue nylon 5
lg46 green copper 6
lg57 blue zinc 3

i need to know how to make another menu where i can type the part number get the all the info on it or say type color and get a list of all parts of that color and so on....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i want to design a database for work that has part number and other
specification and somehow i can access the information quickly by
having another menu that search and brings my what im looking for for

Part Color Material Size
lg45 blue nylon 5
lg46 green copper 6
lg57 blue zinc 3

i need to know how to make another menu where i can type the part
all parts of that color and so on....

Maybe AutoFilter meets the need.

With the above data, select columnms A:D and use
Data Filter AutoFilter
Pull-down lists appear in row 1. Using the first pull-down to select a Part id causes only rows with that id to remain showing. Likewise for the other columns. To undo filtering on a column, use the pull-down and choose "All."

For details, look up AutoFilter in Excel's built-in Help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

--

jehcrosby

Here is one I did which looks at all columns and filters by the one where the value is found. Adapt to your needs or send file to dguillett1 @gmail.com

Option Explicit
'macro by Don Guillett SalesAid Software
Dim mf As Range 'String
If Target.Address < Range("a2").Address Then Exit Sub
If ActiveSheet.FilterMode = True Then ActiveSheet.ShowAllData

Set mf = Range("a4").CurrentRegion.Find(What:=Target, LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt _
:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:= _
False, SearchFormat:=False)
If Not mf Is Nothing Then
'MsgBox mf.Row & " " & mf.Column
Range("a4").CurrentRegion.AutoFilter Field:=mf.Column, Criteria1:="*" & Target & "*"
End If
Target.Select
End Sub
Sub FixIt()