Member

Location: Birmingham
Default Can you display entire rows that match a certain criteria...

Not sure if this is possible so just want to throw the question out to you guys.

If I've got masses of data in say sheet1, could I in sheet2 use any kind of formula that would display every row of sheet1 where that meets a condition.

i.e...

In Cell A1 of Sheet2 :

IF('Sheet1'A1=1, **DISPLAY HOLE ROW**)

This could result in high number of matches for what I'm trying to do but is there any way that Excel could display all of these in rows B2:B*HOWEVER MANY MATCHES**

Thoughts?

Cheers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you can set up a formula in a helper column of Sheet1 which
embodies the criteria that you want to apply and establishes a simple
sequence - something like this in P2 (say):

=IF(A2="cat",MAX(P$1:P1)+1,"-")

Copy this down beyond the data that you have (the hyphens will
indicate how far you have copied it).

Then in P2 of Sheet2 you can have a formula like this to return the
rows where those criteria were identified on Sheet1:

=IFERROR(MATCH(ROWS($1:1),Sheet1!P:P,0),"-")

Then in A2 you can have this formula:

=IF(OR($P2="-",$P2=""),"",INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,$P2))

which will retrieve the data from column A in Sheet1. This formula can
be copied across row 2 to retrieve data from other columns, then all
the formulae in row 2 can be copied down as far as you need to (until
hyphens begin to show in column P).

Hope this helps.

Pete

--