Junior Member

Default Getting "N/A"

I have a pretty simple one but cannot seem to get it to do what I want.

I am using:

=F45/F45+G45

Works and I get the info I want except if F45 or G45 total 0. Then I get the DIV error. I need it to say "n/a" if the total is zero.

I have also tried this as recommended by a friend:

=IF(SUM(I45/I45+J45)0,"N/A",SUM(I45/I45+J45))

That one messes up my calculation.

Thanks for any help.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
I have a pretty simple one but cannot seem to get it to do what I want.

I am using:

=F45/F45+G45

Works and I get the info I want except if F45 or G45 total 0. Then I get the DIV error. I need it to say "n/a" if the total is zero.

I have also tried this as recommended by a friend:

=IF(SUM(I45/I45+J45)0,"N/A",SUM(I45/I45+J45))

That one messes up my calculation.

Thanks for any help.

=IFERROR(F45/F45+G45),"N/A")
will work if you're using Excel 2007 or later..

Last edited by Spencer101 : June 22nd 12 at 05:16 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post

=IFERROR(F45/F45+G45),"N/A")
will work if you're using Excel 2007 or later..
Well, I tried it and got:

You've entered too few arguments for this function.

To get help help with this function, click ok to close message. Then click the Insert Function button.

I do this but am not sure what to add in the IFERROR spot.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
Well, I tried it and got:

You've entered too few arguments for this function.

To get help help with this function, click ok to close message. Then click the Insert Function button.

I do this but am not sure what to add in the IFERROR spot.
Sorry, my bad. I was typing the reply on my phone and missed a bracket.

Try =IFERROR((F45/F45+G45),"N/A")
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Sorry, my bad. I was typing the reply on my phone and missed a bracket.

Try =IFERROR((F45/F45+G45),"N/A")
Thanks for the help so far.

That worked to put "N/A" in the field but removes my calculation into a percentage. So when my total equals 0 I get "N/A." But when I actually have a number in F45 or G45 it just adds them up instead of dividing them.

Ex: F45 has 1 and G45 has 1 I get 200% instead of 50%.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
Thanks for the help so far.

That worked to put "N/A" in the field but removes my calculation into a percentage. So when my total equals 0 I get "N/A." But when I actually have a number in F45 or G45 it just adds them up instead of dividing them.

Ex: F45 has 1 and G45 has 1 I get 200% instead of 50%.
The formula you put in your original post (=F45/F45+G45) would also give you 200% and not 50%.....

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve with this.
Dividing the value in F45 by F45, as in the first part of your formula, will always give you 1 unless F45 contains zero to start with.

Perhaps if you could explain a little more about what you're trying to achieve it would be possible to get the right formula for you.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
The formula you put in your original post (=F45/F45+G45) would also give you 200% and not 50%.....

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to achieve with this.
Dividing the value in F45 by F45, as in the first part of your formula, will always give you 1 unless F45 contains zero to start with.

Perhaps if you could explain a little more about what you're trying to achieve it would be possible to get the right formula for you.
Ok, I am sorry.

Here is the formula I am using to get my percentage of two columns:

=F45/(F45+G45) <-----I missed one ( here when typing it. Sorry.

I get the right percentage of the total columns. If F45 = 1 and G45 = 0 I get 50%. That all works fine.

But some of the columns will not have numbers to calculate. If F45 and G45 total zero I get the DIV error.

I need to get the percentage to display or have N/A display if the total is zero.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
Ok, I am sorry.

Here is the formula I am using to get my percentage of two columns:

=F45/(F45+G45) <-----I missed one ( here when typing it. Sorry.

I get the right percentage of the total columns. If F45 = 1 and G45 = 0 I get 50%. That all works fine.

But some of the columns will not have numbers to calculate. If F45 and G45 total zero I get the DIV error.

I need to get the percentage to display or have N/A display if the total is zero.
Then you just need to wrap the IFERROR around the formula you have above.
=IFERROR(F45/(F45+G45),"N/A")

Does that do the trick?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Then you just need to wrap the IFERROR around the formula you have above.
=IFERROR(F45/(F45+G45),"N/A")

Does that do the trick?
Thanks for being patient with me.

What do you mean by wrap?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
Thanks for being patient with me.

What do you mean by wrap?
NVM. I got it. Thanks so much for your help. Maybe will get the boss to smile.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planko View Post
Thanks for being patient with me.

What do you mean by wrap?
Wrap just meant put your formula in the middle of the IFERROR formula.
It's the formula I put in the same post.

Glad you got it sorted now & hope the boss appreciates your efforts :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Planko" wrote:
I am using:
=F45/F45+G45

Works and I get the info I want except if F45 or G45 total 0.
Then I get the DIV error. I need it to say "n/a" if the total
is zero.

You only get a #DIV/0 error if F45 is zero.

So ostensibly, you could write:

=IF(F45=0,"n/a",F45/F45+G45)

But F45/F45 nonsensicle: it is always 1 except when F45 is zero. (And you
are free to define 0/0 as 1 if that is your intention.)

Moreover, you said you want "n/a" if the "total is zero". What total:
1+G45?

And you said the original works except if "F45 __or__ G45 __total__ 0".
That's meaningless. Do you mean: if F45 or G45 is zero? Or do you mean:
if 1+G45 is zero?

Perhaps the following meets your needs:

=IF(OR(F45=0,G45=0),"n/a",1+G45)