Junior Member

Default How to add different text to one cell?

For example. . .

I have created a drop down list in A1 that says A, B, C. Now I want cell A2 to show different content depending on what's in cell A1.

So if A1 is B, I would want it to say "hello" and if A1 said C, I would like it to say "goodbye."

I know how to make this work using the IF function but I cant figure out how to add more than one answer.

Any ideas?
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman_88 View Post
For example. . .
I have created a drop down list in A1 that says A, B, C. Now I want cell A2 to show different content depending on what's in cell A1.
So if A1 is B, I would want it to say "hello" and if A1 said C, I would like it to say "goodbye."
I know how to make this work using the IF function but I cant figure out how to add more than one answer.
Any ideas?
HELP from BRAZIL <<<

Dear Tman_88, Good Afternoon.

I suggest you to use Data Validation creating some Dependent Lists.
At almost all cases it´s simple to apply this.

Take a look at:H:\planilhas\Excel Data Validation -...With INDEX.htm

Have a nice day.
__________________
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão
---------------------------
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Junior Member

Mazzaropi,

Not sure what that link is but it doesn't get me anywhere. Im also not sure what you mean by a dependent list?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Am Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:11:11 +0000 schrieb tman_88:

So if A1 is B, I would want it to say "hello" and if A1 said C, I would
like it to say "goodbye."

in A2 try:
=IF(A1="B","hello",IF(A1="C","goodbye",""))

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Senior Member

Location: Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman_88 View Post
Mazzaropi,
Not sure what that link is but it doesn't get me anywhere. Im also not sure what you mean by a dependent list?
Thanks
Dear Tman_88, Good Evening.

Sorry about the link. It was my fault.
Link Ok now:http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

You said:"I know how to make this work using the IF function but I cant figure out how to add more than one answer"

Dependent list is the way to add more than one answer DEPENDING to the previous choice thru your validation box.

If you send your worksheet it will be very easier to understand your doubt

I´m waiting to receive your worksheet.
I hope it can help you.

Best regards,
Marcilio Lobão