Junior Member

Default Searching cells

Hello,

I have a large database of information found down column D that was extracted from a program I use at work. The program jumbled all of the important data into one cell. In these cells contains device names which they are linked to. Example:

D10: B40148.9 CV-19 AVB MAN PL RAM 00089
D11: B40147.10 CV-10 RUNNING PL RAM 00074
D12: B40148.5 FA-05 AVB MAN PL RAM 00085

The device names are CV-10, CV-19, and FA-05. These are only a few devices as there are about 30 total. So what I would like to do is go down the list of devices I have and enter a device (Ex. FA-05) and have excel automatically search all the cells down column D and the ones with the (FA-05) text in the cell copy the device name (FA-05) into the corresponding cell in column E.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated since I am new to this forum and to macros and VBA.

Thank you,

-AS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the examples you show it may be just as easy to copy column D to
E then use DataText to ColumnsDelimited bySpace.

In third step select all columns but the device column and "Skip"
those.

Just the devices will stay in E.

Gord

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:03:19 +0000, St3ffl3sx13
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correction. The devices will wind up in Column F

Delete blank column E

Gord