tysonstone

Default what are my options?

I use this format in one cell E11 to reference another cell E7 and to change
value dased on the name entered in E7 this is the format
=IF(E7="sandy","10", IF(E7="bountiful","11")) I
need to repeat this for 30 different options in the same cell. Is there a
better way? Any other ways? Please help me. Thanks.
JulieD

Hi

you can't use an IF statement to deal with 30 criteria
the option i would probably use in your case is a VLOOKUP
create a table (on another worksheet if you wish - ie sheet2 with the first
entry in A2 and the associated value in B2, continue down the column for all
your entries)
then back on the original sheet in E11 type
=VLOOKUP(E7,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$35,2,0)
which says, look up the value in E7, in the table in sheet 2 and return the
related information from the 2nd column where there is an exact match.

now when you typpe "sandy" in E7 you should get 10 etc

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD

"tysonstone" wrote in message
I use this format in one cell E11 to reference another cell E7 and to
change
value dased on the name entered in E7 this is the format
=IF(E7="sandy","10", IF(E7="bountiful","11")) I
need to repeat this for 30 different options in the same cell. Is there a
better way? Any other ways? Please help me. Thanks.

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

tysonstone wrote:
I use this format in one cell E11 to reference another cell E7 and to change
value dased on the name entered in E7 this is the format
=IF(E7="sandy","10", IF(E7="bountiful","11")) I
need to repeat this for 30 different options in the same cell. Is there a
better way? Any other ways? Please help me. Thanks.

Have you considered using a lookup table? Set up a table with a column
of names and a column of the numbers then use VLOOKUP to pick the
appropriate number for a given name.

Bill