Matrix015

Default Please help!!!!!!!!

I am trying to use data validation to select contacts by company name (I have
800 of them), my problem is I have several contacts from the same company and
excel wont differentiate between them when I use the company name to sort.
eg. if I select company 'x' it will show contact 'a1', when I want contact
'a2'. I dont know how to do this, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am also using the
company information to vlookup the rest of the information that belongs with
the company.
JulieD

Hi

not sure i fully understand your question but does
Excel -- Data Validation -- Create Dependent Lists

give you what you're looking for?

Cheers
JulieD

"Matrix015" wrote in message
I am trying to use data validation to select contacts by company name (I
have
800 of them), my problem is I have several contacts from the same company
and
excel wont differentiate between them when I use the company name to sort.
eg. if I select company 'x' it will show contact 'a1', when I want contact
'a2'. I dont know how to do this, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am also using the
company information to vlookup the rest of the information that belongs
with
the company.

Dave Peterson

Maybe you could use two cells--one for the company and one for the contact (that
depends on the company chosen).

If you want to try, you could read Debra Dalgleish's notes at:

--

Dave Peterson
Debra Dalgleish

Another option would be to insert a new column at the left of your
company list. In that column, concatenate the Company Name and Contact
Name.

For example, if company name is in column B, and contact name is in
column C: =B2 & " -- " & C2

Copy that formula to the last row of data.

Create a data validation list from the new column, and use it in the
Vlookup to extract the correct data.

Matrix015 wrote:
I am trying to use data validation to select contacts by company name (I have
800 of them), my problem is I have several contacts from the same company and
excel wont differentiate between them when I use the company name to sort.
eg. if I select company 'x' it will show contact 'a1', when I want contact
'a2'. I dont know how to do this, PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I am also using the
company information to vlookup the rest of the information that belongs with
the company.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List