roadkill

Default Scrolls Far Below Actual Data

I have a spreadsheet in which the moving piece in the vertical scroll bar is
very narrow and, if you move it to the bottom, you have gone far below the
bottom of the data. I tried deleting all rows (i.e. entire rows) between the
end of my data and the scroll end, but this didn't seem to have any effect.
Then I tried deleting rows all the way to the bottom of the spreadsheet.
This didn't help either. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Will
Gord Dibben

CT and roadkill

Clearing will not reset the used range. Excel still thinks those rows/cells
are in use.

Deleting the entire rows then saving/closing and re-opening will reset the
used range.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:10:49 -0700, "CyberTaz"
wrote:

Hello roadkill-

Try this... Select all rows below your data, go to EditClearAll, then
close the file (save if prompted). When you reopen the file the scroll bar
_should_ be back to normal.

HTH |:)

"roadkill" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which the moving piece in the vertical scroll bar is
very narrow and, if you move it to the bottom, you have gone far below the
bottom of the data. I tried deleting all rows (i.e. entire rows) between the
end of my data and the scroll end, but this didn't seem to have any effect.
Then I tried deleting rows all the way to the bottom of the spreadsheet.
This didn't help either. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Will

roadkill

Thanks for your efforts, but neither suggestion worked. I tried selecting
all of the rows below the data and then deleting them, selecting one column
(end of data to the bottom) and then deleting all of the rows, and I tried
selecting all cells below the data and clearing all. After each I
immediately saved, exited, and opened again but there was no change. Any
other ideas?
Will

"roadkill" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which the moving piece in the vertical scroll bar is
very narrow and, if you move it to the bottom, you have gone far below the
bottom of the data. I tried deleting all rows (i.e. entire rows) between the
end of my data and the scroll end, but this didn't seem to have any effect.
Then I tried deleting rows all the way to the bottom of the spreadsheet.
This didn't help either. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Dave Peterson

Any objects (pictures/controls) on that worksheet?

You may want to read Debra Dalgleish's notes:

(Just to verify that you did it ok.)

--

Dave Peterson
CyberTaz

Hi Gordon-

No contradiction at all... However, the OP indicated that Delete hadn't
worked, and I have seen situations where formatted cells (even though never
having had content) caused the same problem. It seemed that Deleting the
empty rows simply caused them to 'reappear' with the same cell attributes.
Using the Clear command in those situations did resolve the problem.

The question I should have clarified, though, is whether roadkill was using
EditDelete or just pressing the Delete key.

Regards |:)

"roadkill" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet in which the moving piece in the vertical scroll bar is
very narrow and, if you move it to the bottom, you have gone far below the
bottom of the data. I tried deleting all rows (i.e. entire rows) between the
end of my data and the scroll end, but this didn't seem to have any effect.
Then I tried deleting rows all the way to the bottom of the spreadsheet.
This didn't help either. Any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Susan C.

I always hated this & can't recall if I ever figured it out. I use this now:

Ctrl + down arrow takes you to the next blank cell.

If you have chunks of data w/blank lines in between, it'll stop before each
blank line, but it still helps, I find.

The other possibility is to select all cells w/your data, then use File -
Set Print Area.

The other thing that bugs me is that dragging on the scroll bar "zooms" out
unless you change an option somewhere I think it's where you configure your
mouse.

Good luck,
Susan