-   -   I want to type a text in a cell, but I want that text to represen. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/4408-i-want-type-text-cell-but-i-want-text-represen.html)

ExcelQ

I want to type a text in a cell, but I want that text to represen.

I want to type text into a cell (actually the checkmark symbol in winding2)
but I want that text to represent a number. So if I have 3 cells each with
the checkmark and each of those cells represents the number 1 when I auto sum
I will get a total of 3.

Peo Sjoblom

If they represent 1 you can just count them with countif

=COUNTIF(Range,"character")

regards,

Peo Sjoblom