Craig

Default Converting Excel 94 to new format

I have an old copy of Office. Doesn't even say Office 95 or anything, just
Office. I have one simple thing I wish to do with it, then will probably
never use it again, so I don't want to go buy a newer version. I need to
open and manipulate a file, but it keeps saying "file format is invalid".
It saves it's files in .xls, which is the same file type I'm trying to open.
I've gone to Microsoft to see if there would be any kind of update I could
download for it, but can't find one. Anyone know if there is anything I can
do to be able to use this file? I already have Excel Reader, but it won't
let me change any info.

Thanks,
Craig

CLR

Have a friend open the file in a modern version of Excel and then Save it
back to an older version to give back to you. My XL2000 will save all the
way back to Excel 2.1, although you may lose some of the newer
features...........then you should be able to open one of them..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Craig" wrote in message
I have an old copy of Office. Doesn't even say Office 95 or anything,

just
Office. I have one simple thing I wish to do with it, then will probably
never use it again, so I don't want to go buy a newer version. I need to
open and manipulate a file, but it keeps saying "file format is invalid".
It saves it's files in .xls, which is the same file type I'm trying to

open.
I've gone to Microsoft to see if there would be any kind of update I could
download for it, but can't find one. Anyone know if there is anything I

can
do to be able to use this file? I already have Excel Reader, but it won't
let me change any info.

Thanks,
Craig

David Biddulph

"CLR" wrote in message

"Craig" wrote in message
I have an old copy of Office. Doesn't even say Office 95 or anything,

just
Office.

Help/ About ... will give you a clue which version it is.

[...]

Or open the file in Open Office (free) and save it in an appropriate early
version of Excel (it can save as Excel 5.0).
--
David Biddulph

Craig

"CLR" wrote in message
Have a friend open the file in a modern version of Excel and then Save it
back to an older version to give back to you. My XL2000 will save all the
way back to Excel 2.1, although you may lose some of the newer
features...........then you should be able to open one of them..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Wow, great advice. Thanks a lot, it worked. I still don't have all the
functionality I was hoping for, but didn't really expect it from a program
this old (having it update stats from the internet). But, it'll still do
what I want it to with a little elbow grease.

Thanks again!!!
Craig