pletcherb

Default Unwanted Quotes

Ok, I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask just in
case:

I have a cell with line breaks (pressing ALT+Enter), but when I try to
copy this cell and paste it into another program (like notepad), it
adds quotes around the text! Why? I have no idea, but it is quite
irritating. Any idea how to stop this?

--
pletcherb
pletcherb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26925

mas_detokyo

If you want to copy it with CTRL+C, I believe you have to clean up the
character by clean function.
e.g. You have text in cell A1 with ALT+ENTER. Then put "=CLEAN(A1)" in
cell B1. Then copy from B1 to another program.
mas

--
mas_detokyo

mas_detokyo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26712
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

Michael

With Excel 2003, if you paste into MS Word, you don't get the quotes.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"pletcherb" wrote:

Ok, I don't think this is possible, but I thought I would ask just in
case:

I have a cell with line breaks (pressing ALT+Enter), but when I try to
copy this cell and paste it into another program (like notepad), it
adds quotes around the text! Why? I have no idea, but it is quite
irritating. Any idea how to stop this?

--
pletcherb
pletcherb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

pletcherb

mas_detokyo Wrote:
If you want to copy it with CTRL+C, I believe you have to clean up the
character by clean function.
e.g. You have text in cell A1 with ALT+ENTER. Then put "=CLEAN(A1)" in
cell B1. Then copy from B1 to another program.
mas

That appears to clean out all the line breaks, which I would like to
keep. Thanks for replying though! Any other ideas?

--
pletcherb
pletcherb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

pletcherb

Michael Wrote:
With Excel 2003, if you paste into MS Word, you don't get the quotes.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

Hmm, unfortunately I don't want to paste it into Word. I suppose I
could paste it into word, copy it, and then paste it where I want it,
but it would be easier just to remove the quotes after pasting it where
I wanted it. Thanks for the idea though!

--
pletcherb
pletcherb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

Gary's Student

You are trying to copy from the cell - not good

Instead select the cell and copy directly from the Formula Bar; when you
paste into Notpad the quotes will be missing.

Have a good day!
--
Gary's Student

"mas_detokyo" wrote:

If you want to copy it with CTRL+C, I believe you have to clean up the
character by clean function.
e.g. You have text in cell A1 with ALT+ENTER. Then put "=CLEAN(A1)" in
cell B1. Then copy from B1 to another program.
mas

--
mas_detokyo

mas_detokyo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26712
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

pletcherb

Gary's Student Wrote:
You are trying to copy from the cell - not good

Instead select the cell and copy directly from the Formula Bar; when
you
paste into Notpad the quotes will be missing.

Thanks for the idea, but the cell I want to copy from actually contains
a formula. If I copy from the formula bar, I get the formula, not the
value of the formula.

--
pletcherb
pletcherb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26925
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401455

Michael

Thanks very much for your tip, Gary's Student. I learned something new today!
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin