teresamcallister

Default when emailing xp excel documents recipients are unable to open

I have 2003 XP on my computer and have recently discovered when I email excel
documents to other users who have different version of microsoft, they are
unable to open my document, why is this, and why are these documents not
compatible
Richard Neville

Suggest that they copy the attached document to the hard drive or desktop,
then try to open it from with the Excel application, by selecting File-Open
and navigating to the attachment.

"teresamcallister" wrote in
message ...
I have 2003 XP on my computer and have recently discovered when I email
excel
documents to other users who have different version of microsoft, they are
unable to open my document, why is this, and why are these documents not
compatible

Dave Peterson

#1. Are you sure that they own Excel--it's not included with any version of
windows. It's a separate product.

#2. The recipients should be able to open the file if they're running xl97+.

If they're using xl95, you'll have to save a copy (not the original) in that
format. You can choose that in the File|SaveAs dialog at the bottom (save as
type box).

#3. If you're sending in Rich text format, try using Plain text (or HTML).

#4. If they don't own excel...

The free viewer (no changes allowed) from Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/of...347961033.aspx

If that version isn't supported on your pc, Ken Wright posted this link to an
older version:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...5257&fileidx=1

Or maybe a free spreadsheet program would work for you:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

--

Dave Peterson