Default auto filter stops working

The auto filter shows up with the dropdown list arrows and only
contains the standard all, top 10, and custom list. It no longer
contains unique data. The custom will allow you to put in a search and
will not retrieve the rows. It worked before and just stopped. How do I
fix the problem. I don't see anything in the spreadsheet that would of
caused it to quit working. I am running excel 2002.

Thanks,

Paul

James,

Never knew you had to put in a range. I selected all the rows starting
with the top line being the one I wanted the arrows and darn if it
didn't work. Thanks a whole bunch.

Normally, I would only select the row I wanted the arrows and hit data
-- Filter -- Autofilter and it has always worked. Somehow, I must of
deleted the ranges. Where does this range value your talking about get
stored? and I can I default it to the the entire worksheet?

Paul