mount_mordor

Default Customer Quoting Database

Hello

I have a quoting program in excel that I created, I use this program to
quote customers for laser cutting. It is fairly basic, on the first page
I input all the data required to determine the amount of the quote, such
as the customer, the material, the size of the part, the amount of
parts. The second page is a print page, set up to accordingly and
drawing all it's information from the 1st page. The third page is a
list of all my customers. On the 4th page is my current steel price
list. All of this works great so far, but the problem is this:

I need to "Record" all the quotes I make. What I would idealy like to
have is a different sheet for each customer, so that after I enter the
information in the first page that, and select the customer, I could
hit a button that would search for that customers "sheet" and copy the
information to a new row there.

I am not that well versed in excel, so please keep the answers simple.

TIA

Troy

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879

mount_mordor

Anybody have any suggestions??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

Dave Peterson

How about a slightly different alternative?

Add another history sheet--but keep all the history (all the customers) on that
one sheet.

You can always use data|filter|autofilter (or data|sort) to show/group what you
want. And by having all the data in one spot, you can summarize stuff better.

It sounds like you could take the data off the first sheet (called "Input"???)
and plop it into the "Summary Sheet" via a macro:

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

Dim historyWks As Worksheet
Dim inputWks As Worksheet

Dim nextRow As Long
Dim oCol As Long

Dim myRng As Range
Dim myAddresses As String
Dim myCell As Range

myAddresses = "A1,F9,A2,B1"

Set inputWks = Worksheets("Input")
Set historyWks = Worksheets("Summary")

With historyWks
nextRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row
End With

With inputWks
Set myRng = .Range(myAddresses)

If Application.CountA(myRng) < myRng.Cells.Count Then
MsgBox "Please fill in all the cells!"
Exit Sub
End If
End With

With historyWks
With .Cells(nextRow, "A")
.Value = Now
.NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss"
End With
.Cells(nextRow, "B").Value = Application.UserName
oCol = 3
For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
historyWks.Cells(nextRow, oCol).Value = myCell.Value
myCell.ClearContents 'clean it up???
oCol = oCol + 1
Next myCell
End With

End Sub

I check to see if all the cells have something in them (maybe not required???).

I also add the date/time to column A of the summary sheet and the username
(taken from Tools|options|General tab) to column B.

Then Column C to xxxx go in the same order as the addresses you've specified in
this line:

myAddresses = "A1,F9,A2,B1"

(Change that to match your input worksheet.

(mycell.clearcontents may not be necessary, too.)

mount_mordor wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

I thought I did.

mount_mordor wrote:

Anybody have any suggestions??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

--

Dave Peterson
mount_mordor

Thankyou for your response

I might need a little more help on this macro stuff. I am getting an
error that says I cannot run macros, because "macros in this project
are disabled..."??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

Dave Peterson

Close the workbook.
tools|macro|security|security level

Change to something that allows macros to run (the options vary between versions
of windows).

In later versions, you can choose medium that prompts you each time you open a
workbook with macros. If you choose this option, just make sure you answer yes
to allow macros to run when you open that workbook.

Now reopen the workbook with the macro. (This setting isn't retroactive--that's
why you have to close and reopen the workbook.)

mount_mordor wrote:

Thankyou for your response

I might need a little more help on this macro stuff. I am getting an
error that says I cannot run macros, because "macros in this project
are disabled..."??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

--

Dave Peterson
mount_mordor

Ah it was the rebooting excel that I missed. thanks

Please see my attached workbook. I was getting the messagebox "Please
fill in all the cells"

Thanks

|Filename: LASER WORKSHEET1.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3775 |

mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

mount_mordor

Well I can see the attachment, but here is a screenshot of my first page

|Filename: excel pic1.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3776 |

mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

mount_mordor

Ok I fiqured out the code, there was a "End With" missing at the end. So
that works great, but it's not exactly what I am looking for, although
it's getting me closer.

I want a separate page for each customer, so after my 4th worksheet, I
want to start in alphabetical order all my customers. Then when I run
this code it will search by customer, and find "their" worksheet, and
enter the data under the last row. Is this possible??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

Dave Peterson

It's possible, but I still wouldn't do it. Separating the data is never a good
idea (in my opinion).

I'd still build that giant summary worksheet.

If you want to split that summary worksheet later, you may find something close
at:

Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

or

Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

or maybe Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

==========
And it sounds like you modified the code (all the "end with"'s were there
before).

You could use:

Set historyWks = Worksheets(inputWks.range("a1").value)

This assumes that each of the customer worksheets already exist and you put the
customer name in A1 of the inputworksheet.

mount_mordor wrote:

Ok I fiqured out the code, there was a "End With" missing at the end. So
that works great, but it's not exactly what I am looking for, although
it's getting me closer.

I want a separate page for each customer, so after my 4th worksheet, I
want to start in alphabetical order all my customers. Then when I run
this code it will search by customer, and find "their" worksheet, and
enter the data under the last row. Is this possible??

--
mount_mordor
mount_mordor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26879
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401134

--

Dave Peterson
mount_mordor

Ok lets say I go with keeping all my data in one huge sheet. What is the
easiest way to get all rows of data from my first sheet into my customer
quote database sheet. Right now it is just grabbing the first line, but
I sometimes enter more than one quote in the first page, so I may have
up to 20 lines. Right now in the code I have

----myAddress = "C6,B10,C10,D10,E10,F10,G10,H0,I10,J10,K10"-----

Do I have to enter each row in, so I would basically have 20times the
numbers to enter, or is there a string I could enter???

I need to go from B10:K10 to B34:K34

Thanks