Daniel - Sydney

Default Counting item in a column

Hi

I have a spread sheet where there is a column with over 3000 cells,
there are 90 items, some appearing often and some only a few times.
Is there a way I can sort the column by the number of time an item appears,
or to highlight how many time each item appears.

thanks

Daniel
Rowan

Hi Daniel

Assuming your data is in A2:A3000 then in B2 enter =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$3000,A2)
and copy down. This will give you the count for each item. You can then sort
by column B.

Hope this helps
Rowan

"Daniel - Sydney" wrote:

Hi

I have a spread sheet where there is a column with over 3000 cells,
there are 90 items, some appearing often and some only a few times.
Is there a way I can sort the column by the number of time an item appears,
or to highlight how many time each item appears.

thanks

Daniel

Rowan

You're welcome.

"Daniel - Sydney" wrote:

Great,

thank for the fast reply

Daniel

"Daniel - Sydney" wrote:

Hi

I have a spread sheet where there is a column with over 3000 cells,
there are 90 items, some appearing often and some only a few times.
Is there a way I can sort the column by the number of time an item appears,
or to highlight how many time each item appears.

thanks

Daniel

Mangesh Yadav

Lets say your items are in the range A1:A10, then in column B, cell B1 enter
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,A1)

And drag down for the entire range. Then select both the ranges, go to Data
Sort based on column B ascending.

Mangesh

"Daniel - Sydney" <Daniel - wrote in
message ...