KDD

Default Dropdown list/Multiple choice??

Hi.

I have 2 lists like this:

Code Name
X12 David
Z55 Arnold
AB223 Meechie etc

I would like to do cell validation and give user the option of using drop
down list in either of the columns, while the other column gets populated by
using VLOOKUP.

Is this possible, or an insane request?! Pls do help

KDDXB

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Create a sheet p.e. Employees, with columns Code and Name (column headers in
row 1, no empty rows in table) - and fill it.
Create named ranges p.e.
EmplCode=OFFSET(Employees!$A$1,1,,COUNTA(Employees !$A:$A)-1,1)
EmplTable=OFFSET(Employees!$A$1,1,,COUNTA(Employee s!$A:$A)-1,2)

On your input sheet, select wanted range in column Code, and create a data
validation list with source
=EmplCode
Into next column, p.e. into cell B2, enter the formula like this:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A2,EmplTable,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP( A2,EmplTable,2,0))
and copy it down.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvil<attarkon.ee )