R.P.McMurphy

Default Conecting/updating cells on two w/s

I have a list of staff in sheet one, column one. how can i get excel to
keep sheet two, column one the same, even if changes are made to sheet one
column one?

steve

Paul Sheppard

R.P.McMurphy Wrote:
I have a list of staff in sheet one, column one. how can i get excel
keep sheet two, column one the same, even if changes are made to sheet
one
column one?

steve

Hi Steve

Go to Sheet2 first cell where you want the data from Sheet1, type = ,
probably A2, and enter

Then drag down the formula

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399821

r.p.mcmurphy

Is that type '='

or type'=,'?

remember....im a newbie!

steve

"Paul Sheppard"
wrote in message
news:Paul.Sheppard.1uh3yb_1125230704.4134@excelfor um-nospam.com...

R.P.McMurphy Wrote:
I have a list of staff in sheet one, column one. how can i get excel
keep sheet two, column one the same, even if changes are made to sheet
one
column one?

steve

Hi Steve

Go to Sheet2 first cell where you want the data from Sheet1, type = ,
probably A2, and enter

Then drag down the formula

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399821

Peo Sjoblom

In the cell where you want this formula, type an equal sign, with the mouse
select the source sheet,
click in the first cell (A2) and press enter key
now grab the lower right corner of the cell where you put the formula and
when it changes to a thin cross and left click the mouse and drag down (copy
down)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

R.P.McMurphy Wrote:
I have a list of staff in sheet one, column one. how can i get excel
keep sheet two, column one the same, even if changes are made to sheet
one
column one?

steve

Hi Steve

Go to Sheet2 first cell where you want the data from Sheet1, type = ,
probably A2, and enter

Then drag down the formula

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile:
View this thread:

Dave Peterson

Another way is to copy the original cell, but instead of just using paste, you
can use:

Edit|paste special|
Click the Paste Link button

It'll create the formula for you.

You could even select a larger range and the select the topleft cell of the
range that should get all the formulas--then do edit|paste special|paste link.

Be aware that your formula will something like:
=Sheet2!A1

If A1 is empty on sheet2, then you'll get a 0 in that cell with the formula
(that's the way excel works).

You can make it look prettier by changing the formula:

=if(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

(I like to have excel build the formula (using paste link or point and
clicking), then use that to help me build the final version of my formula--all
before I copy down the range.)

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote:

Is that type '='

or type'=,'?

remember....im a newbie!

steve

R.P.McMurphy Wrote:
I have a list of staff in sheet one, column one. how can i get excel
keep sheet two, column one the same, even if changes are made to sheet
one
column one?

steve

Hi Steve

Go to Sheet2 first cell where you want the data from Sheet1, type = ,
probably A2, and enter

Then drag down the formula

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399821

--

Dave Peterson

R.P.McMurphy

Absolutly excelent! Many thanks...it works a treat...and so logical too!

steve

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
[...]

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote:

Is that type '='