pm tester

Default regional conversion of excel to .csv

Hello,

I have a database that with US regional settings will export to an excel
spreadsheet in .CSV format multiple column headings.
The spreadsheet will have 3 column headings of | Location | Device |
Quantity |

But when I switch to a European regional setting such as Germany, the export
in .CSV format converts the data into a single column.
The spreadsheet will ahve 1 column displayed with | Location,Device,Quantity |

Is there a setting or a way to change this conversion from a single column
to multiple columns to mirror the US regional settings. I can not upload the
resulting .CSV file to a US DB because it says the .CSV format is invalid.
Dave Peterson

My bet is that there is a different list separator character in the Windows
regional settings than used in that .CSV file. (comma vs semi-colon???).

You could fiddle with the regional settings to make the list separator match the
separator in the .CSV file or maybe just rename the file to *.txt and you can
specify everything you want--including that delimiter.

--

Dave Peterson
pm tester

This seems to be an issue that could be related to the delimiter, but I am
able to reproduce this scenerio with multiple columns being converted to a
single column with both a comma and a semi colon.

So regardless of the delimiter, I am wondering if there is an additional
setting that causes the breakdown of columns depending on regional settings?

I have been looking into this issue but have not seen much in terms of how a
SQL DB when exporting to excel as a .csv file can change column headings from
multiple column headings to a single column due to a german location. Since
I don't speak german I have not been able to find much. Is this something to
do with the SQL DB export settings and not excel?

pm tester wrote:

Hello,

I have a database that with US regional settings will export to an excel
spreadsheet in .CSV format multiple column headings.
The spreadsheet will have 3 column headings of | Location | Device |
Quantity |

But when I switch to a European regional setting such as Germany, the export
in .CSV format converts the data into a single column.
The spreadsheet will ahve 1 column displayed with | Location,Device,Quantity |

Is there a setting or a way to change this conversion from a single column
to multiple columns to mirror the US regional settings. I can not upload the
resulting .CSV file to a US DB because it says the .CSV format is invalid.

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I don't know anything about SQL, but I think it's just the windows regional
setting for ASCII files (in general).

And maybe....

If the German version of excel uses a different extension than .CSV, maybe
that's a problem. (I don't know.)