y_not

Default Include a "timebomb"

I produce a number of quite complex spreadsheets for a number of
clients. One client is due to change suppliers at the end of the year
and currently recieves a very large amount of management information
from us via the spreadsheets.

It might sound like "sour grapes" but after they change suppliers I do
not want the new supplier to simply pick up my spreadsheets and
continue to provide the same management information without having any
of the cost/headaches associated with producing the spreadsheets.

Is there a way, perhaps using the date, to set the formulas to
automatically delete themselves after a given date?

I have no problem with the format or data - it's just removing the
formulas.

Logic says I should have password protected the files in the beginning
... hindsight is a great thing!

I think that I am right in believing that I am not breaking any laws
etc. (and I certainly don't want to even think about viruii). The
iinformation is supplied as a service for which there is no charge.

Any advice would be appreicated.

Tony

--
y_not
y_not's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19947

bj

set up a macro which runs at opening. when if the date is greater than your
data of interest select all in each sheet, copies and pastes special-value.
I would also have it delete all modules except the module including this
macro. and have it close the file so that they can't just do undo. you need
to have a rweset in the macro so it only runs once and they can then opn the
file with the data as text only.

"y_not" wrote:

[...]

Dodo

y_not wrote in
:

I produce a number of quite complex spreadsheets for a number of
clients. One client is due to change suppliers at the end of the year
and currently recieves a very large amount of management information
from us via the spreadsheets.

It might sound like "sour grapes" but after they change suppliers I do
not want the new supplier to simply pick up my spreadsheets and
continue to provide the same management information without having any
of the cost/headaches associated with producing the spreadsheets.

Why? Didn't your customer pay for your services?
If so, haven't they become the rightful owner of said spreadsheets?

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

FSt1

it could be done but only on any new spreadsheets you send them.
wouldn't they have all the older spreadsheets you sent them? the older
spread sheets would still have the formulas.

regards
FSt1

"y_not" wrote:

[...]

swatsp0p

I would caution you to consider the impact of "burning your bridges" as
it were. If you screw with this client, not only do you assure they
will <never utilize your services again, you also assure that they
will give you bad word of mouth advertising.

A better idea may be to turn this into a PR plus. Let them know you
are not "locking down" your spreadsheets and that they are free to
continue to utilize them. Most likely the new vendor will have their
own system anyway, and won't need or want to utilize yours (they
probably sold themselves as having a better system). Plus, all they
need is a backup laying around once they figure out what you've done,
alter the system date on a pc, open the file and modify your code....

Just my opinion, for what its worth...

Good Luck

Bruce

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399016

Dodo

?B?R2FyeSBMIEJyb3du?= wrote in
:

Absolutely not!

Oh my! Did I say something wrong?

A consultant is paid for his knowledge, expertise and abilities. The
intellectual material that he/she develops as a tool to solve a
client's issues are the property of the consultant unless stated
otherwise in the contract between the consultant and the client. The
consultant is selling his time not products.

It depends on the contract, then.

A bit of foresight is the trademark of a good consultant? ;-)))