Emma

Default The IF function

How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from a list of 19
values?
TommySzalapski

Don't use if for that. Use =max(A1:A19) or something like that.

Szalapski

--
TommySzalapski
TommySzalapski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25561

Chip Pearson

Emma,

You don't need an IF function. Instead, use the MAX function.
E.g.,

=MAX(A1:A19)

will return the largest value in cells A1:A19.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Emma" wrote in message
How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from
a list of 19
values?

Ray A

Why IF?
Assuming values in range A1:A19
=max(A1:A19)
HTH

"Emma" wrote:

How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from a list of 19
values?

Emma

Chip,
Is it not possible to use the IF function, it's just that I am currently
studying for a microsoft office certification and one of the exercises is to
use the IF function in order to do it?

"Emma" wrote in message
How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from
a list of 19
values?

Michael

Hi Emma
The other guys have given you the simplest and neatest answer.
However, knowing some tutors, they throw in a question to see if you can
think around it.

Try this

=IF(A1:A19="","",MAX(A1:A19))

HTH
Michael Mitchelson

"Emma" wrote:

How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from a list of 19
values?

Henry

Emma,

How about
=IF(MAX(A1:A10)MAX(A11:A19),MAX(A1:A10),MAX(A11:A 19))

It uses an IF function, but I don't think it's the answer the questioner is
looking for :-)

Henry

"Emma" wrote:

How can i use the IF funvction to find the highest value, from a list
of 19
values?

TommySzalapski

Um, shouldn't you just ask whomever is in charge of your certification?
It sounds like you are trying to get test answers.

Szalapski

--
TommySzalapski
TommySzalapski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25561
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398796

Emma,

I understand that if the assignment asks you to use IF(),
you "must" use IF(), even though MAX() seems to be the
better choice. You might want to ask your instructor
(if you have one) what they are looking for and why.

Michael wrote:
However, knowing some tutors, they throw in a question
to see if you can think around it. Try this
=IF(A1:A19="","",MAX(A1:A19))

Dovetailing what Michael said, perhaps the following is
something like what the assignment is looking for:

=IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(A1:A19)),"",MAX(A1:A19))

The point is: create a formula that will display the
max without ever incurring an error. It's called
"bullet-proofing", and it is certainly a useful ability
for a professional to learn.

Emma

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad i found this site now.
Will give your solutions a try in the morning.
Thanks Again. :-)

I NEED HELP with the SPELLNUMBER Function vag Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 21st 05 08:17 AM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM