jpx

Default Lookup Max and Min Values in a List

Hi

Given a number I want to look up what number in a list is just greater
and just less than my original number.

Ex. Given number 55 look at the following list of values:

22
33
44
55
66
77

and in one cell return 44 and another 66. Seems easy but I can't get
it. Thanks.

--
jpx
jpx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1013

jpx

?????????????????

--
jpx
jpx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1013
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398709

Bob Phillips

If the value will exist

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(55,A:A,0)-1)

or maybe even

=INDEX(A:A,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,A:A,0)),MATCH(B1,A :A,0)-1),MATCH(A:A,B1,-1))

if it may not exist

--

HTH

RP

"jpx" wrote in message

Hi

Given a number I want to look up what number in a list is just greater
and just less than my original number.

Ex. Given number 55 look at the following list of values:

22
33
44
55
66
77

and in one cell return 44 and another 66. Seems easy but I can't get
it. Thanks.

--
jpx
jpx's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398709

jpx

??????????????????

--
jpx
jpx's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1013
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398709

Domenic

Assuming that A1:A6 contains your list, try...

=MIN(IF(A1:A655,A1:A6))

and

=MAX(IF(A1:A6<55,A1:A6))

Both formulas need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just
ENTER.

Hope this helps!

Domenic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10785
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398709