jdanker

Default Find cells containing a specified number of characters

I have a spreadsheet with only 1 column of data, but 18,000 lines. Is there
an easy way to find all cells that contain exactly 12 characters? I tried
searching for ???????????? and ************ but it finds every cell.
Duke Carey

If you use Data-Filter-Advanced Filter you can use the 12 ?s as your filter.

You need a column header - let's say it is Values, and let's say your data
is in column A

Then in C1 type Values and in C2 type ????????????

Then select a cell in column A and go to Advanced Filter. Set C1:C2 as the
criteria range, and clikc on OK

"jdanker" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with only 1 column of data, but 18,000 lines. Is there
an easy way to find all cells that contain exactly 12 characters? I tried
searching for ???????????? and ************ but it finds every cell.

jdanker

Thanks Duke,

I must be doing it wrong? I have the data in Column A. A1 is the header
"CASE" and the data is in A2-A18000.

In C1 I entered CASE and in C2 I entered ????????????

Then I went back and clicked in A2, selected Advanced Filter and set
Criteria Range C1:C2 and click OK, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything?

Jamie

"jdanker" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with only 1 column of data, but 18,000 lines. Is there
an easy way to find all cells that contain exactly 12 characters? I tried
searching for ???????????? and ************ but it finds every cell.

jdanker

Duke,

I experimented further and was able to get what I needed using a custom
auto-filter. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jamie