Natalie Tarry

Default Using Numeric Values from Formulas

Hello All
I have created a formula in one column that returns a value of 5 if a given
line entry is more than 5 years old.

What I want to do is then say " if (and((d35, b30),"Yes","")
What this does is if the entry is over 5 years old and there is a value
greater than 0 in cell b3, then give a value of "yes".

However since cell D3 contains a formula it does not work! If I were to
manually type in the values in Column D then it works ok.

Is there a function in Excel that says "if the result of the formula 5"
then ....??

thanks
Natalie
Paul Sheppard

Natalie Tarry Wrote:
Hello All
I have created a formula in one column that returns a value of 5 if a
given
line entry is more than 5 years old.

What I want to do is then say " if (and((d35, b30),"Yes","")
What this does is if the entry is over 5 years old and there is a
value
greater than 0 in cell b3, then give a value of "yes".

However since cell D3 contains a formula it does not work! If I were
manually type in the values in Column D then it works ok.

Is there a function in Excel that says "if the result of the formula
5"

then ....??

thanks
Natalie

Natalie

Your formula has too many brackets (, remove one of the brackets after
and so it reads as follows:

=IF(AND(D35,B30),"Y","")

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397694

Natalie Tarry

"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

Natalie Tarry Wrote:
[...]

Hi Paul

Thanks for the information re the brackets, but unfortunately it still does
not work.
If any of the cells in D3 are blank it still does not work. I need to add
something into the formula that says
=if(d3="","",if(and(d35,b30),"y","").

I have just created a little formula that says, in english, if D35, "Yes".
It gives a value of "Yes" to cells with " " in it ( with a formula behind
it).
If I delete the formula and delete everything from the cell, this solves the
problem!

Still confused!
Natalie

But it still doesn't solve my problem why

Paul Sheppard

Natalie Tarry Wrote:
"Paul Sheppard" wrote:

Natalie Tarry Wrote:
[...]

Post some example data with cell references so I can duplicate what you
have, eg what is the formula in D3? what is in the cells that drive the
result in D3, it seems to work ok for me

It could be that D3 contains 5 so you are expecting Yes, when the
result in D3 might only be 4.999999999999999, but formatted to show 5
so you get blank