donners6

Default How can you count if the same word has been used in a Spreadsheet?

i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and I want
to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly' appears in the
spreadsheet.
Paul Black

Hi donners6,

Assuming there are NO Names that you want to Find in Column "A", Insert
this Formula in Cell "A1" :-
=COUNTIF(B:IV,"=Donnelly")

Hope this Helps.
All the Best.
Paul

Dodo

"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and
I want to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly'
appears in the spreadsheet.

If you want to find the search text also as part of text in a cell, put
this in a cell outside the range:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Otherwise leave the widcards out:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"text")

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)
Biff

Hi!

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Less "cryptic":

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

Biff

"Dodo" wrote in message
. ..
"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and
I want to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly'
appears in the spreadsheet.

If you want to find the search text also as part of text in a cell, put
this in a cell outside the range:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Otherwise leave the widcards out:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"text")

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

Dodo

"Biff" wrote in news:OX$DXA5oFHA.2472
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

Hi!

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Less "cryptic":

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

Right!

But with my example you can replace "text" with e.g B1 to search for the
text entered in B1. ;-)))

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

Bob Phillips

In that instance it would be more beneficial to the OP to give specific
examples, such as

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

or if the texct is in a cell, then use

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&B1&"*")

otherwise the OP might be confused.

--

HTH

RP

"Dodo" wrote in message
. ..
"Biff" wrote in news:OX$DXA5oFHA.2472
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

Hi!

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Less "cryptic":

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

Right!

But with my example you can replace "text" with e.g B1 to search for the
text entered in B1. ;-)))

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

donners6

Hi Paul,

Thanks for reply. I am not sure if I've been specific enough (excuse my
Excel ignorance). The column 'E' has peoples names from cell '6' onwards
(some cells can have several names). Basically I want to 'find' how many
times e.g. 'Donnelly' has been entered in that column (or whole spreadsheet).
I put your formula into 'E1' with no success...

To me it is more of a specific 'word' count that I need to do...I am not
even sure if this is available in 'Word' (another question!)...

Thanks for your help,
Paul

"Paul Black" wrote:

Hi donners6,

Assuming there are NO Names that you want to Find in Column "A", Insert
this Formula in Cell "A1" :-
=COUNTIF(B:IV,"=Donnelly")

Hope this Helps.
All the Best.
Paul

donners6

Hi Dodo (fantastic name),

I entered your formula into cell 'E2' (changed the 'A2' to 'E2' and entered
"Donnelly"...no joy...see my reply to the first response by Paul Black for
some clarity...

Thanks for the response,
Paul

"Dodo" wrote:

"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and
I want to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly'
appears in the spreadsheet.

If you want to find the search text also as part of text in a cell, put
this in a cell outside the range:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Otherwise leave the widcards out:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"text")

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

donners6

Thanks Biff,

Yep, gave these a go...no joy...

See, my reply to the first reply from Paul Black for more clarity...

Much appreciated,
Paul

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Less "cryptic":

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

Biff

"Dodo" wrote in message
. ..
"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

i.e. a standard spreadsheet has a list of different names (random) and
I want to do a 'word count' as such e.g. how many times 'Donnelly'
appears in the spreadsheet.

If you want to find the search text also as part of text in a cell, put
this in a cell outside the range:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Otherwise leave the widcards out:

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"text")

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

donners6

Biff,

Yep, it has gone a bit over my head now,

Thanks anyway,
Paul

"Biff" wrote:

But with my example you can replace "text" with e.g B1 to search for the
text entered in B1. ;-)))

True!

Biff

"Dodo" wrote in message
. ..
"Biff" wrote in news:OX$DXA5oFHA.2472
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

Hi!

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000;"*"&"text"&"*")

Less "cryptic":

=COUNTIF(A2:Z35000,"*text*")

Right!

But with my example you can replace "text" with e.g B1 to search for the
text entered in B1. ;-)))

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

Dodo

"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

Hi Dodo (fantastic name),

Yeh, I'm extinct! ;-)))

I entered your formula into cell 'E2' (changed the 'A2' to 'E2' and
entered "Donnelly"...no joy...see my reply to the first response by
Paul Black for some clarity...

I suppose your separator is , (if not replace the , in the following
example with your local separator which here in NL is ; which I forgot to
replace in my earlier examples, sorry).

You have to enter the formula in a cell outside the area you are searching!

So, suppose the search range is columns A:D (this will search the columns
top to bottom; if not desired you have to make it a range like e.g.
A2:D34).

Then you can enter in cell E2:

=COUNTIF(A:D,"*"&E3&"*")

Then in cell E3 you can enter the search term: Donnelly (no quotes!) and
you will see the result in cell E2.
So, do not enter the search term in the same cell as where you entered the
formula!
(If that is what happened.)

I do not know your level of experience with Excel so in case I made some
assumptions about your Excel skills that irritate you, I apologize in
advance!

--

It is I, DeauDeau
(Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)
donners6

Hi Dodo,

OK, let's see...the name/word 'Donnelly' is in numerous cells in column 'E'
i.e. 'E6' onwards...I've entered your formula '=COUNTIF(A:D,"*"&E3&"*")' into
cell 'E2' and 'Donnelly' into cell 'E3'...but I am still getting '0' in cell
'E2'.

Close but no cigar!

Thanks for the help,
Paul

"Dodo" wrote:

"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

Hi Dodo (fantastic name),

Yeh, I'm extinct! ;-)))

[...]

Dodo

"?B?ZG9ubmVyczY=?=" wrote in
:

Hi Dodo,

OK, let's see...the name/word 'Donnelly' is in numerous cells in
column 'E' i.e. 'E6' onwards...I've entered your formula
'=COUNTIF(A:D,"*"&E3&"*")' into cell 'E2' and 'Donnelly' into cell
'E3'...but I am still getting '0' in cell 'E2'.

The formula in text:

=COUNTIF(Range_to_be_searched,Text_to_be_searched_ for)

In E6 and onwards? Down from E6? Yes?

In your case the search range now should be: E6:E1000 (or whatever the last
cell down is).

So:

In E2:

=COUNTIF(E6:E1000,"*"&E3&"*")

Does it work now?

If searching has to be over more columns, the search range could e.g. be:
E6:K1543 (or wherever you have put the text away).