BankC

Default Referencing Cells in a different workbooks

Hi All,

I have a spreadsheet in workbook 1 with the names of staff and
performance scores as % values entered weekly. In workbook 2 there are
separate worksheets for each individual staff member. I am trying to
create a formula for workbook 2 whereby the information entered in
workbook 1 will automatically update in workbook 2.

I can do it for an individual cell in workbook 2 by entering = and
clicking on the cell in workbook 1 that I want to reference and hitting
enter, but when I click on the cell in workbook 2 with the formula I
have just entered and drag it across the spreadsheet (so that each cell
will have the formula and as each week goes by it automatically updates
the new performance scores), it won't appear as a running formula, it
just repeats the score in the cell I originally referenced across the
whole spreadsheet. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong and how I
can make this a running formula that works?

Not sure if this is relevant info but the cell locations in workbook 1
are different to those in workbook 2.

Many Thanks,

Craig

--
BankC
BankC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26337

Paul Sheppard

BankC Wrote:
[...]

Hi Craig

When you create a link in the way you describe it probably looks
something like this

=[Book1]Sheet1!$C$3

Where Book1 is the workbook you are linking to, Sheet1 is the worksheet
and $C$3 is the cell reference. The $ in the formula makes the formula
always refer to that cell no matter where it is dragged or copied to,
so if you are dragging across remove the first $ before the C and if
dragging down remove the second $ between the c and the 3

Hope this helps

Paul

--
Paul Sheppard