Charles

Default Summarizing of columns for different days of month

I have an Excel spreadsheet with two columns. Column 1 contains a date e.g.
01 Jan 2005, column 2 contains a number.
The rows are organized by date. I can have variable number (rows) of days
per month ... but all days are "bunched together"
I would like to either create a new sheet where I have the days summarized,
in other words I want one row to contain 01Jan2005 with the total of column 2
another row with the total of 02jan2005 etc.
I have been trying to figure this one out. Any help would be greatly
appreciate it.
Thank You!

Jason Morin

Try SUMIF. For example, let's say your dates are in col.
A, values to sum in col. B, and all this is in a sheet
named "mysheet". With a date in A1 of a new sheet, use:

=SUMIF(mysheet!A:A,A1,mysheet!B:B)

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have an Excel spreadsheet with two columns. Column 1

contains a date e.g.
01 Jan 2005, column 2 contains a number.
The rows are organized by date. I can have variable

number (rows) of days
per month ... but all days are "bunched together"
I would like to either create a new sheet where I have

the days summarized,
in other words I want one row to contain 01Jan2005 with

the total of column 2
another row with the total of 02jan2005 etc.
I have been trying to figure this one out. Any help

would be greatly
appreciate it.
Thank You!

.

Gordon

Charles wrote:
I have an Excel spreadsheet with two columns. Column 1 contains a
date e.g. 01 Jan 2005, column 2 contains a number.
The rows are organized by date. I can have variable number (rows) of
days per month ... but all days are "bunched together"
I would like to either create a new sheet where I have the days
summarized, in other words I want one row to contain 01Jan2005 with
the total of column 2 another row with the total of 02jan2005 etc.
I have been trying to figure this one out. Any help would be greatly
appreciate it.
Thank You!

Subtotals. Select the area of your data, then go to Data-Subtotals

Charles

Gordon:
Thank you for the info. What I failed to mention is that I would like for
this to occur automatically. In other words I would just type a formula
(without having to select the area I want to sum up), such as the formula
would contain some kind of an IF stament assuming the row contains jan 1 2005
data and row x contains jan 5 data etc.
If you know the answer for this I would very much appreciate it.
Thank You

"Gordon" wrote:

Charles wrote:
I have an Excel spreadsheet with two columns. Column 1 contains a
date e.g. 01 Jan 2005, column 2 contains a number.
The rows are organized by date. I can have variable number (rows) of
days per month ... but all days are "bunched together"
I would like to either create a new sheet where I have the days
summarized, in other words I want one row to contain 01Jan2005 with
the total of column 2 another row with the total of 02jan2005 etc.
I have been trying to figure this one out. Any help would be greatly
appreciate it.
Thank You!

Subtotals. Select the area of your data, then go to Data-Subtotals

RagDyeR

Say your original data list is on Sheet1, using Column A for dates, and
Column B for numbers.

On Sheet 2, enter your starting date in A1,
And drag down to create your list of individual dates, as far as needed to
match the date range on Sheet1.

Enter this formula in B1:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$50,A1,Sheet1!$B$1:$B$50)

And drag down to copy as needed.
--

HTH,

RD