philtyler

Default Can't change options

Everytime I try to change Excel options from the tool menu it says
"Can't access directory... "

The directory it can't access is mapped to a location that doesn't
exist anymore on a server, plus it's not even a directory.

Also autorecover doesn't work either for the same reason. It can't
access the "directory"

How do I solve this? Remembering I can't do it from the options menu.

--
philtyler
philtyler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12476

Anne Troy

Have you tried running Detect and Repair from the Help menu?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"philtyler" wrote
in message ...

Everytime I try to change Excel options from the tool menu it says
"Can't access directory... "

The directory it can't access is mapped to a location that doesn't
exist anymore on a server, plus it's not even a directory.

Also autorecover doesn't work either for the same reason. It can't
access the "directory"

How do I solve this? Remembering I can't do it from the options menu.

--
philtyler
philtyler's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396248

Dave Peterson

First, my response includes editting the windows registry.

So back it up before changing anything--you won't get a "are you sure" prompt!

close excel (if you got it open!)
windows start button|run
regedit
file|export (select all) and create your backup

then get to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\microsoft\11.0\Excel\Op tions
(11.0 is for xl2003. Use 10.0 for xl2002.)

Now look for those things that could contain paths.

AltStartup
AutoRecoverPath (if you've ever changed it)
DefaultPath

(those were the only ones I saw.)

Double click on the name (on the right hand side) and erase any of the paths you
have typed in. You can always add them via Tools|options later.

Good luck and be careful.

philtyler wrote:

Everytime I try to change Excel options from the tool menu it says
"Can't access directory... "

The directory it can't access is mapped to a location that doesn't
exist anymore on a server, plus it's not even a directory.

Also autorecover doesn't work either for the same reason. It can't
access the "directory"

How do I solve this? Remembering I can't do it from the options menu.

--
philtyler
philtyler's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12476
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396248

--

Dave Peterson
philtyler

Did the regedits as discribed, fixed the problem, AND didn't screw up my
PC.
What more can one ask for?

The only part that took any skill was navigating to the right spot
because on my PC the tree looked a little different. In case it helps
someone else my path was like this:

Hkey_users\software\microsoft\office\10.0\options

thanks for the help

Phil