Adeel

Default Data Conversion

We have a large downloaded Excel sheet from SAP. It contains lots of figures
with negative signs on the right of the numbers. This means that Excel does
not recognise these as numbers. Changing the format to Number does not work
at all.

We need to convert these to normal numbers, that is, with the negative signs
on the left of the numbers.

What is the quickest way to do this?

Thanks!

Adeel
Bob Phillips

Adeel,

I guess it would be to put this formula in an adjacent column, assuming G,

=LEFT(H1,LEN(H1)-1)*-1

and copy down.

Then copy column H, pastespaceial values and delete column G.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Adeel" wrote in message
We have a large downloaded Excel sheet from SAP. It contains lots of

figures
with negative signs on the right of the numbers. This means that Excel

does
not recognise these as numbers. Changing the format to Number does not

work
at all.

We need to convert these to normal numbers, that is, with the negative

signs
on the left of the numbers.

What is the quickest way to do this?

Thanks!

Adeel

Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:22:02 -0700, "Adeel"
wrote:

We have a large downloaded Excel sheet from SAP. It contains lots of figures
with negative signs on the right of the numbers. This means that Excel does
not recognise these as numbers. Changing the format to Number does not work
at all.

We need to convert these to normal numbers, that is, with the negative signs
on the left of the numbers.

What is the quickest way to do this?

Thanks!

Adeel

Isn't that sheet in .csv format?

If so, you could rename it to *.txt. Then use the Text import wizard which can
recognize the trailing negatives.

--ron