Darrell

Default Excel 2003 Macros Not Accessible

Hello
I have a new machine with Excel 2003 installed. How do you transfer your
macros and toolbars from Excel 2000 to 2003?
Thanks.
Gord Dibben

Darrell

Macros can be in any workbook. They would travel with the workbook.

Also in Personal.xls for global macros.

Also could be in any add-in(s) *.xla you created.

Toolbar and Menu customizations are stored in your xxxxxx.XLB file where
xxxxxx is version-dependent name.

Excel 97.....username.xlb

Excel 2000...Excel9.xlb

Excel 2002...Excel10.xlb

Excel 2003...Excel11.xlb

Note: there may be other customizations you want to transfer at the same time.

Before reading further.......

If upgrading Office version, transferring your *.xlb file from 2000 to 2003
will reduce the functionality of new version menu items, although most of them
can be dragged onto the old menu.

Read on.........

NOTE: some settings are workbook-specific and would be stored with the
workbook.

For other global stored settings..........

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

Note also: you may want to move over your *.ACL(autocorrect files) and any
*.DIC files.

For a more comprehensive listing see Dave Peterson's posting at

http://snipurl.com/8r7x

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:51:02 -0800, "Darrell"
wrote:

Hello
I have a new machine with Excel 2003 installed. How do you transfer your
macros and toolbars from Excel 2000 to 2003?
Thanks.

Darrell

Thanks for the response Gord. Much appreciated. I copied my "personal.xls"
file (containing my macros) from my old machine to the new one and placed it
in the Xlstart folder for the 2003 installation. I want them always
(globally) available but, when I click on a toolbar that used to launch them,
I still get the error message that states that the file doesn't exist. The
toolbar is expecting the macros to be in a folder that doesn't exist.

Should I just make a folder with the same path or is there a more
appropriate way to get the toolbar to look in the new location?

Thanks again.
Darrell

wrote:

Hello
I have a new machine with Excel 2003 installed. How do you transfer your
macros and toolbars from Excel 2000 to 2003?
Thanks.

Gord Dibben

Darrell

Is Personal.xls actually opening?

Hit ALT + F11 to get to Visual Basic Editor and CTRL + r to open Project
Explorer. Is Personal.xls available?

You can usually find more than one XLSTART folder and Personal.xls must be
placed in the correct folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application\Data\Microsoft\Excel \XLSTART is
the usual default.

You will also find an XLSTART folder at....

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\XLStart

That one doesn't work for me. Personal.xls doesn't load from there.

When you go to ToolsCustomize and right-click on one of the custom buttons or
menu items and "assign macro" what is the path to the macro?

Gord